It took a friend of mine one and one half hours to drive less than two miles to wait over an hour for gas that she did not ultimately receive because there was no more when her turn came up. She lives in Dade City. Many are without power and clean up and restoration will be on-going for some time. We have been advised to boil water and stores are low on supplies. I was able to get a late morning grocery delivery for today though a lot of items are out of stock, so I'll be dipping further into my hurricane items. Hurricane season ends November 30 which means we may still have another or more at some point, so canned goods, water and other things are still important to stock. My porch screen will need replacement and some repair needs to be done where the floor of the porch meets the grass at the door. Neither Mercy nor I use that space, so it can wait. I did ask a contractor about re-screening in July but after repairing my bathroom ceiling, he has made himself scarce.
I spent Milton's visit in my small bathroom, pitch black dark, with Mercy in her closed stroller in my shower. She was stone silent for the several hours we were in there and is still not quite herself. I am very tired and right about now, Ohio sounds like a good idea. I would not be the sole climate refugee.
The flat is a mess but I am going to go to bed. My first microwave meal? Canned mac and cheese. It was my first hot food in days.
We were lucky. Thanks for your care and concern.
5 comments:
Thank you for checking in with us. You were very much in my thoughts. Mercy will need time to recover. Well, b you will too. I'm glad you're wise enough to have emergency supplies at home.
Glen and I were just discussing the fact that many people may be leaving Florida. Also, I would imagine that a lot of folks who were thinking about moving here may now be reconsidering that.
You and two more friends were in my thoughts. They have checked in with me now, thank heaven. One, who is the gutsiest friend I have, said she had never been more terrified. The other was huddled in a shelter but her little home was spared as it was in the midst of others that were destroyed. I so feel for you in your bathroom, makes my heart hurt. Yes, many are planning a move away from this terrifying zone.
XO
WWW
Thank you for letting us know. Enclosed in a dark, small space would have its own uneasiness. I wonder if there will be an exodus from Florida?
Thanks so much for keeping us updated. I am glad that you have your power back and hope that you and Mercy can settle down quickly. Hugs.
Post a Comment