My smile broke yesterday as the crown on my right front tooth shattered as I was eating a vegan deli sandwich from Publix. That was the first food from a deli or anywhere else outside my house that I've consumed since March of 2020. I am so upset at having to go to the dentist...I look like someone punched me in the mouth and crowns are very expensive. I am also worried about being around other people in a waiting room in which they may not mask and having to organize a way to get there with someone who will. Damn!
Aside from that, have any of you ever re-connected with someone from your past? There is more behind this question. Several weeks ago I received a call from an acquaintance asking if I knew any CPAs. I did but they were in the wrong locale for her. I recalled a college friend and suggested that person but said I had no contact information. After Googling the name, she called back, saying that she had emailed me the link to what she thought was his obituary, and after viewing it myself. she was sadly correct. While there was no address listed for his wife with whom I was friends my freshman year, I eventually located one and sent a card.
Although I attended their wedding in 1979 and always thought of them fondly, I was twenty when they graduated and married and still finding my way. I had no clear picture of the future and no idea what I should do beyond graduation and we lost touch. Fast forward to the present, and I received a very sweet card in return, along with a phone number. Though our chat was brief, I'm looking forward to more of them and have sent another card as my friend is having a surgery this week. I was reminded for that small space of time what it feels like to extend myself to someone and be welcomed and accepted in return, a feeling I rarely experience these days.
I also realize a tendency to perhaps let people go too easily and wonder whether that is a pattern formed of having moved to several neighborhoods and attended different schools without a real peer group as a kid...
8 comments:
First of all, I'm so sorry about the tooth situation. Not long since I had an expensive crown installed. And you have to organize transportation on top of it. Please keep us updated. I hope it goes smoothly.
About the reconnecting. I've done it since the internet era, and have found that after the first pleasant exchange, we run out of material. Our lives have diverged so far that it's hard to rejoin them. I'm slow to let people go, so I'm usually the leavee rather than the leaver. One of my sisters used to let people go because she said it was too much effort to keep up!
I, too, am sorry to hear about your crown. I'm in the process of getting a new one myself and it's not the most fun thing in the world and it IS expensive.
As to reconnecting with friends- in my experience, we lost touch with each other for a good reason. But this situation with your old friend may well be different.
Crowns are expensive. I'm sorry this happened. We are usually the only people in a mask when we are out. We have both been very happy to not have a cold for these years of masking. We intend to just keep wearing them.
I connected with someone of Facebook that was in my neighborhood as a child. I talked with her several times on the phone and it was pleasant, but as Boud said, nothing other than childhood memories in common. I can shed myself of people like my dogs sheds her fur.
So Sorry about your tooth. I hate going to the dentist and the expense is draining too.
Hopefully, your tooth issue gets soon resolved.
As I advance in age, I seem less interested in reconnecting with friends from my past. I fear disappointment and don't wish to add that to my daily existence.
It is true that proximity makes it easier to maintain friendships, but I'm glad you are able to nurture this renewal of acquaintance with someone you have loved in the past. She may also need you in more ways than you know. Good luck with the dentist. I hope the whole process proves less complicated than you anticipate.
That is awful about your tooth! Visits to the dentist can be quite costly. How lovely that you connected with an old friend.
I’m sorry about your tooth. Hope you find a safe dentist. Though, they should be okay with all the cleaning of things that happens there. Fingers crossed. Also, my front tooth broke and instead of a crown, I’m going with a flipper. It’s less money (here). There was an option for an implant though ouch on the cost.
For now, a flipper will do.
Sorry to read about the passing of an old friend.
I love that you reached out. I love that. Here’s to you doing more of that.
Excellent post. Sending good wishes on your dental hunt.
Huggs & Bugs, Me.
Post a Comment