Thursday, February 16, 2023

Three New Reads

 Three recently concluded books include Lisa Wingate's The Book of Lost Friends, and two memoirs in the genealogy arena by Bill Griffeth, The Stranger in My Genes and Strangers No More.

A former journalist, Wingate's love of story is evident as she traces a family and its town from post-Civil War Reconstruction through the late 1980's, untangling the relationships of ancestors, slaves and former slaves to a prominent white family and former plantation in Louisiana. All of Wingate's books evolve from actual events and pieces of history and this is no different in that regard. I enjoyed this book and though the stories were compelling and thought provoking. yet it was really how the book came about which surprised me/ If you are a fan of history and  a well written story. give this a go.

Genealogists and those interested in family history and what is now termed genetic genealogy will appreciate two related memoirs by  retired CNBC financial analyst. Bill Griffeth, who discovers through a commercially available DNA test that the man who raised him was not his biological father and this sets him on a path of both historical and self discovery. Among other things these books provide a snapshot of a man and his mother coming to terms with the truth of a long held secret which but for DNA testing would not likely have come to light. the confusion and pain that ensues and the path toward acceptance and meeting new relatives while integrating a new history following his mother's passing. Insightful and thought provoking.

Soup's on, the cat is in dreamland and I am looking forward to a snooze.

How are you doing today??


5 comments:

Boud said...

Interesting reviews. I've often wondered about the potential depth charges waiting to be discovered by DNA testing when it's done for family history reasons.

Rainy day here, reading a cosy book, Miss Buncle's Book. About to embark on tea and chocolate fudge brownie(s).

Ms. Moon said...

DNA testing changes everything, doesn't it?

Sandra said...

I'm doing well, I think! I like Lisa Wingate's work. Did you recommend 'Bewilderment"? I just started reading it. I look into Wingate's book. There is some genetics in my own family that I didn't know about.

Soup for lunch again today.

Jenny Woolf said...

An interesting group of books. How many people are there, I wonder, who are now finding out that those who they thought were their family - even their parents - aren't theirs at all? I can't imagine what kind of a shock that must be. I bear too much resemblance to other members of my family to be worried about it for myself, but still find the idea disturbing.

37paddington said...

I think I need to pick up The Book of Lost Friends. What a great title, too. Thanks for recommending it.