Monday, October 4, 2021

Soup's On, FBK is Blowing Up and I'm Hoping for Poop...

  That title about sums up my day. I was once again up before the birds, got some groceries delivered before 6 AM, did some chores then had a nice cup of tea before doing some meal preparation. On the menu this week: Skillet veggie fried rice, cauliflower gnocchi with  vegetables, salads and various veggie sandwiches along with a pot of split pea soup.

I was able to catch portions of the 60 Minutes interview with  Frances Haugen. I cannot say that I was terribly surprised by her disclosures. By now most people who pay any attention should realize that company manipulates its users to make money and keeping users on its platform is the name of the game.

Do I like it?? No. But my life does not revolve around it either. I've never purchased anything from an ad there, don't frequent hate groups, rarely post anything of a political nature and mostly communicate with friends and acquaintances who live far away from my locale. Would I be upset to close my account?? At this point, no. In fact, it is something I've considered doing.

 It wasn't until I read his book about social media that I fully appreciated Cal Newport's research and his assertion that as ubiquitous as it has become, we do not need social media and if we do choose to use it, we should consider how and when to use it, keep our use to a minimum and craft our use to our own purposes for having it or keeping it. 

In the months since the pandemic, my usage changed as I've made greater effort to communicate with folks privately rather than through posts to a feed. That is likely to continue. I do not post writing there and can't remember the last time I took a new photo as a post. Most people, particularly those who have grown up with various forms of social media, assume it is a must-have. Given a choice of platforms, I still prefer blogging and having to sit and craft an email over selecting an emoji from a pre-determined menu produced by algorithms. Once a writer, always a writer or perhaps I am showing my age.

In other news, Lukas is evidencing a back up. Whether from medication or lack of activity, I know not. If things do not right themselves with the use of a softener which he gets already, he may require a vet visit for an enema...

I will leave you with that cheery thought. Have a good evening.

11 comments:

Boud said...

I think it's wise to see how to have a life that isn't up ended by the breakdown of one social media form. Like having many small income streams rather than one main one.

I hope Lukas performs. He's old and that does have an effect on the system.

Joanne Noragon said...

Going way back, ten or more years, I've been increasingly discomfited by Zuckerberg. Then I had a falling out with a relative, unfriended her, and pretty much quit looking at FB. Today I read a national Quit Facebook is being planned. I'll wait for the day, so my black out joins the millions of others.
Lucas is growing old. Another trip to the vet may be in order.

Elephant's Child said...

Poor Lukas. I hope things come right for him. Jazz is not well either today.
I don't play FB and rarely regret it. I spend more than enough time on line without it.

Steve Reed said...

Good Lord. I can't even imagine having to give an enema to a cat!

It's funny that both of us wrote about our dissatisfaction with Facebook. I don't think I'd miss my account if I got rid of it, but for now I'm just staying off it. As you said, we've all come to believe social media is essential, but why?

Ms. Moon said...

There are some things about social media that I do like. There are other things that I abhor. Sort of like life except with a lot of ads.
Come on, Lukas! You can do this!

Wisewebwoman said...

I created and manage several FB groups which have thousands of members. One I started for Covid and verified info is posted on it. Another is for senior impoverished women. I do hear you on FB disconnect but I tend to be in and out of there in a flash rather than perusing as I update the groups with relevant info. I block most annoying ads. And have never clicked on them.

I don't participate in data mining "puzzles" or memories or that idiotic daughters' and sons' days created by the data miners. People are foolish for doing so. We are just tools in the giant marketing machine.

XO
WWW

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, FB, Insta and WhatsApp go off air and the world is turned upside down. :-)

Me? I just went on Twitter. :-D

Greetings from London.

jenny_o said...

Good luck on the poop front ... to both Lukas and you. Steve's comment made me smile. I wouldn't want to be on the giving end of a cat enema either. Sometimes I've had some luck getting cats to drink more water by putting an ice cube in it. They like to push it around the bowl and then their feet get wet and then they have to clean up their feet. At this point that advice may be completely useless for you.

FB is like any tool: it can be used for good or for bad. I started out with a FB account to keep in touch with my niece and nephew because that's the only means of communication they used and I wanted to maintain bonds with them, especially as they had children and the children grew up. We are a very small family group and they don't have a ton of other support. Then I became one contributor to a craft group FB account which is only active for a couple of weeks a year. Now I also watch zoo and sanctuary videos because I find them a good distraction when I'm feeling down. Anything else I block. The trick is to make it work for you instead of against you. Many folks don't realize how it works and how it tracks a person's information.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I use it. It helps me keep up with people that I am interested in but not enough to correspond with directly. Cousins, old college friends, etc, that otherwise I'd probably let slide out of my life. But my true friends and close family members I prefer to communicate with directly.

(As for hate groups, I'm ruthless about purging my friends list of people who spout hate or other nonsense.)

LL Cool Joe said...

I've never had Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. and have no desire to either. I'm struggling to blog at the moment, so to feel the need to update my life on any other platform would be an unwanted pressure.

37paddington said...

I wish we could raze Facebook and start again. I think it's so toxic because it's founder is unburdened by conscience.