Wednesday, March 25, 2020

And Now...

Sometimes I wish I was my cat or at the very least, a dog.  Both live entirely in the moment, and my cat is both affectionate and easily amused. He sees me as a provider of all things kibble, whether treats or cuisine, play time, soft places and toys. A favorite pastime of his involves stretching his body over any part of my person, especially in a face-to-face orientation. Last night, we fell asleep with him on my chest. Today, he decided to splay himself across my legs, face forward with his tail fully extended toward my knees.

I always wonder when he chooses a position what it means to him. Comfort? Dominance? Relaxation? Claiming me as his own? Can anyone truly know what our animal companions think or feel?

Perhaps because he is so chilled generally, I often see Lukas as content with his home and the one he has so thoroughly trained to look after his every desire. The boy certainly knows a soft touch when he meets one, and he has carefully schooled me in every nuance of meow, trill or chirp common to talkative felines. He also never fails to tell me off in the unfortunate event I am late, with food, scritching or his newly fascinating You Tube videos.

 Made by a gentleman in Serbia who shares his cats and their antics with the world, these videos focus on a younger female black cat and her ginger, elderly Munchkin familiar, both of whom spend a lot of time in their garden. Because all ambient noises captured are real, I often find Lukas fixated on my laptop screen as if boring holes with his eyes or moving his head back and forth as though watching a tennis ball fly between opponents..

 He has never stepped foot beyond our front door since his arrival and has shown little interest in the postage-stamp -sized screened patio off the back. The areas which capture  the attention of Mr. Couch Potato include my love seat, the corner club chair, his sherpa mat and carrier and our bed. On rare occasions, he can be found with his head stuck between slats in the blinds or atop the bathroom counter if I happen to be in there. Of course, his overarching concern is his cuisine and whether he gets one treat or two.

Should I be forced due to age and circumstance to die on behalf of the economy in this wonderfully led country, I hope one of my remaining friends will love him enough to take him in.

Until Next Time...


7 comments:

Boud said...

I think he might do a guest post or two..that would be fun for all of us.

Steve Reed said...

Cats just want to be where we are. (Same with dogs.) The only difference is cats often PRETEND to want to be in another room. :)

Ms. Moon said...

You and your darling cat are both lucky to have each other.

LL Cool Joe said...

This post has reminded me of how much I miss our 2 Burmese cats.

Elephant's Child said...

Oh yes.
Decidedly yes, on all counts.
Jazz has trained me/us very well. He is a cat of uncertain temper and some of his characteristics are less than desirable. When he chastises me (and sometimes apparently just for fun) I bleed. He is also loving and much loved.
And I do worry about whether anyone else would take him in and love him as we do if circumstance demanded it.

Anonymous said...

Animals live in the moment, perfectly content in the simple things in life. We can learn so much from them.

jenny_o said...

Pets are a wonderful diversion at any time, and especially now. It's very good that Lukas shows no interest in going out. A cat that wants to get outside always needs watching like a hawk. We've had two of those. Of the two cats we currently have, one shows no interest, the other will slip outside if given a chance, but she is still nowhere near as bad as the others ones that were always waiting . . .