This Monday bears no resemblance to the last. It has been peaceful, the weather has been great and I had a lovely time with friends at their second night of Passover seder on Saturday. The meal was wonderful and the re-telling of the Passover story was both abbreviated enough so nothing got cold and entertaining due to the presence of teens, one of whom showed herself to be a tough negotiator when she had to release the final piece of hidden matzah at the conclusion of the meal.
As for me, the only plans I have this week involve enjoying some outdoor time before a sweltering summer arrives. The bills, correspondence and laundry have all been done, the tax preparer paid and cat food ordered. I may make a trip to the library this week though since more and more services are available online, that may not be necessary.
As a confirmed and lifelong bibliophile, I sometimes suffer library withdrawal, especially since I now read primarily via a Kindle. The nice thing about that is that many books from the library can be downloaded, and when read within their borrowing period, disappear without a trace.
When I was a kid, one of the first things my mother did was instill the habit of keeping all of our library books in one place to avoid loss, damage or overdue fines. I quickly learned that stashing mine beneath my bed wasn't always the best idea if the resident feline was in the mood for batting, chewing or tearing. After one incident, and a rather tearful explanation to a skeptical librarian from me, my mother ordered a new book, waited weeks for it to arrive and threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't learn to keep any books off the floor.
I also miss the heft of a book in one's hand and the smell of the stacks...What about you, dear readers?

16 comments:
I read online if I have to (no Kindle here yet) but really love the feel and smell of books. I find it easier to flip through a book to find that phrase/paragraph I want to revisit too.
As an adult I have had to take a book to the library and confess my cat's sins. It wasn't on the floor either when Jazz decided to shred it.
Have a wonderful, restful week. And many more to come.
I am definitely a paper book person. I've never had a Kindle or any type of e-reader and I don't intend to get one now! But I can see how having one would be a huge advantage if accessing physical books isn't always easy.
Another book person here. We buy almost everything second-hand so cost doesn't get too out of control. It's an expensive habit otherwise. Our son tells us that an e-reader is excellent, though, and if I had to use one, I would. Have to get my reading fix somehow. I haven't used the library in decades. I found they didn't have much that interested me; I tend not to read "best sellers" which is what they mostly had.
The kindle and other e-readers mean that people's homes are scarce in books as most now live where they cant be seen. I miss overstuffed bookshelves in homes.
I'm definitely a book person! I've been enjoying books since before I could even read. Some of my favourite memories from my childhood are visiting the library.
I read books on my phone when I travel to work. Finished about 20 books this way :)
Thank you. I hope your librarian was understanding. Have a good week.
Mine was a gift. I never would have purchased one on my own. I can download stuff from the library on my desktop too as well as streaming movies from the library and listening to audiobooks. One does not need a Kindle to do these things\s unless portability is an issue.
You can make suggestions for other books and ask for an interlibrary loan which accesses all sorts of stuff outside your public library system, too. We all read differently at different times and that keeps life interesting.
I do not miss the clutter or the dusting...
Another way to enjoy reading. Good for you. Do you like particular types of books?
I still prefer physical books when possible. Now that I can request them online and renew them online, I never worry about overdue fines anymore.
Since I’ve had my cataracts done I read ‘proper’ books again, not quite so many ebooks. I also buy books again although I am going through the shelves to discard quite a few. I call it updating and down sizing. It certainly isn’t down sizing so much as indulging myself.
I love to read and am looking forward to spending time sitting under a tree in the garden indulging my passion.
I'm one of those fortunate children whose parents taught them to print their names so they could apply for a library card. All four children, and we wore paths into the library. Now I download from the regional library's audio library, and listen while I am weaving. It makes the sorting of little weaving problems so much easier.
I prefer hard copy of books and like my library and support them in the UK - if we down use them they close down. I am a slow reader by the way, esp. when it comes to fiction. I read Their Eyes were watching God in my Uni days.
I think most people like books - there is something tactile about the experience - and we also like to keep them (or some anyway) almost as totems of our thoughts. But I'm not anti KIndle - in fact I rather like the reading experience - you can read with one hand; you can turn up the font, you can read in the dark without disturbing others; you can switch between devices; you can make notes, have built in dictionary and switch to audio. And of course you can carry round hundreds of books ... and yet, I'd miss my library, what it says and what it says about me.
Post a Comment