Monday, April 15, 2019

H is for HECTIC...

April 15 is the day all good citizens are compelled to pay taxes. Thus, I found myself on the horn to my friendly CPA asking where my return was since there was no sign of it in my email. After two more calls, I received the correct documents only to worry about whether my online payment went through to the IRS. Confirmation has since arrived.

 Complicating this scenario was the appointment with my AC guy who showed up a bit late after I called when he did not appear 9 AM as promised.

After determining that my lack of cooling stemmed not from any problem with the air conditioning unit but from the tarp on our rooftop, our site manager appeared with condo president in tow. She started to tell me I should just wait until the tarp was removed when he interjected to say I had summoned the correct person to diagnose the problem. Roofers were to have appeared today and have not. So just how much longer this tarp situation will occur I have no clue. I started to ask how many more days of 80 degree temperatures I was expected to endure inside, particularly since summer is on our doorstep but instead chose to have the AC man and and our site manager, a general contractor, converse on the matter.

The upshot is that the AC guy climbed on the roof and with help from another individual, folded over the section of tarp covering my unit. Additionally, his explanation of the problem was sufficient enough to get him a check from my condo association for his time, an expense I am only too happy to forego. When I told him that I had previously been told that the tarp had been adjusted so as not to interfere with my air compressor, he smiled and said, "They lied."

He added that he had never seen anything quite like this tarp and thinks of this place as a three-ring circus featuring a yes-man. I've known this for a long time. Still, it is good when an outsider confirms my existing experience. Our site manager hires people but does not check their work. In his mid-sixties, he is fat and has been injured, so does not climb onto rooftops. Those hired by this association appear to have little in the way of "work ethic," an apparently dying concept in this country.

Amid tax payment and AC contingent, a phone call from a friend brought a hot lunch and coffee. Both were sorely needed as I had no breakfast while awaiting the AC guy. Tonight, another friend will visit and help with Lukas's monthly flea treatment. Tomorrow, both the bug guy and the massage therapist are due.

In the meantime, a basket of laundry and a mop, not to mention a staring cat, are calling to me. I'd much rather read but that doesn't wash underwear.

Happy Monday.

10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh. Some weeks are like that.
I hope the air conditioner is fixed, and love that you didn't have to pay.
How I wish that reading DID do the washing/cleaning. And rather a lot of other chores.
I hope you and Lukas have a wonderful week.

Steve Reed said...

Well, I'm glad you got the tarp more or less sorted and hopefully the temperatures in your flat will now diminish. It DOES sound like your condo management folks need some training!

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh heavens it is SO frustrating being at the mercy of inefficient people. I sympathise.

jenny_o said...

Is your AC actually working now? And what if the tarp "unfolds" in the wind? Is the tarp still covering the compresssor(s) of other tenants? So many questions :) I hope this is a permanent fix for you.

And you mean Lukas doesn't do laundry?? That's just not right :D

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh heavens it is SO frustrating being at the mercy of inefficient people. I sympathise.

Anonymous said...

If only people would just do a good job. So frustrating.

Linda Sue said...

"they lied", seems to be a thing going around doesn't it. I am so sorry for such foolery! You do not need it. Also I think that reading DOES get the underwear washed...eventually some one will do it because they must. Read while your eyes are still good, read as much as you like, it is way more important than underwear.

Friko said...

Why o why can’t trades people be as efficient as we are in our own spheres? no one takes pride in their work, it seems, perhaps some of the old codgers still do but not the younger ones who have grown up with the disposable society.

I’m glad that you a friend to help nourish you. Hope the laundry is all done for now.

37paddington said...

How frustrating! Read while the laundry cycle runs.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Good grief. Glad you finally got it taken care of.