Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Yesterday...

I got off my proverbial and got some things done, including tidying, ordering flowers for a friend and gathering most if not all of the information needed to file taxes and scheduled time with the tax preparer.

Because I've had rotten luck with a certain online florist, I elected instead to phone a shop in my friend's vicinity and handle the transaction with a person. Everything went smoothly and I had both the delivery confirmation and a short e-mail from my friend expressing her surprise within a couple of hours. In making my choice, I decided that the most vibrant buds and blooms should take precedence over cost and so selected a small arrangement wrapped in orange paper. The purples, reds and yellows of the flowers really popped, and this friend appreciated the touch of Spring delivered to her door. Her cancer is advanced and I am not certain to what extent she can enjoy the outdoors now but the flowers cheered her and were a spontaneous gift from the heart, so both of us benefitted.

Himself is still enjoying belly rubs, cuddles and his toys and sends a happy meow to all his blogger fans. Having read books by vets specializing in behavioral medicine, I know that he appreciates the time and attention and would not expose his belly without enormous trust. I've also read that many geriatric cats seek out extra attention and find it soothing. I'm reassured by his purring, head butting, nibbles on my arm and paw pats that he is reasonably content for the time being.

I see that efforts are once again mounting against the Affordable Healthcare Act, and that our House has voted to scrap the rules governing Internet privacy. If this happens, my time online will likely be vastly reduced and I am uncertain if the the new peek-a-boo allowed broadband providers also includes e-mail.

On a happier note, I look forward to celebrating the marriage of two longtime friends in May. One of them took me to lunch today and it was nice to catch up.

Now, for forty winks...




16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad that your flowers were a hit, and love that himself is enjoying life.
Sigh on the political upheaval. Scary times ahead.
I hope your forty winks is WONDERFUL.
Hugs.

crafty cat corner said...

I think its a lovely idea to send flowers to your ill friend, certainly better than sending them to a funeral where they are left to rot and the recipient doesn't get to see them, I'm sure they cheered her up.
Glad that kitty seems okay, its hard to bear when they are ill isn't it?
As for the snooping. I come from an age when all this was in the far distant future and didn't expect that I would be tracked in my every movement but this is today and sadly the future for my poor Grand kids.
Oh well, onward and upward, do a bit of knitting, crochet etc and enjoy the sight of my lovely furry friends.
Briony
x

Steve Reed said...

Glad the flowers did the trick! :)

e said...

I hope you have a wonderful day, Briony. Enjoying your blog and yes, very tough when animals reach their old age and are ill. Happy knitting.

Birdie said...

Yes. It is 1984. Big Brother is watching. It makes me so scared. We know the what Big Brother means but his younger generation doesn't. This is normal for them.
I am glad kitty is doing better. I have just had to put a cone on Norbert because he keeps scratching the side of his face. I have no idea why.
Did you enjoy your nap? Naps are delicious!

Anonymous said...

Those flowers sound lovely. That is a very kind gesture that undoubtedly brightened up her day. That is happy news about himself. He certainly does appreciate all your efforts!

Wisewebwoman said...

How kind you are. And thoughtful. A cheery message to a dear friend.

Love that Jacob lets you know about extra attention.

XO
WWW

baili said...

hope you are enjoying what are you doing friend!
best wishes for your tasks ahead

e said...

Poor Norbert! As for my nap, wonderful but entirely too short!

e said...

I'm a neurotic cat guardian these days, probably drive his vet nuts. Thankfully, she understands. As for my friend, I hope she can enjoy those blooms for awhile.

e said...

Thank you!

e said...

Thanks. I wish you a good week and please come again!

37paddington said...

Weddings can be such fun.

jenny_o said...

What a kind thing to do for your friend. Unexpected gifts are a joy.

I'm glad Jacob is enjoying being pampered. And that you had a good nap!

Anonymous said...

Well, how did I manage to miss that little pearl about the House voting to scrap the rules governing Internet privacy? What else will they scrap?

I'm sorry about your friend. My sister had cancer. A horrible thing.
I find that I do better if I call a florist that is in the area where I want to send the flowers. I use the internet for a lot of things, but not flowers.

Linda said...

Sending flowers is a lovely gesture.