A favorite post from, 2009

Do you remember where you were in August 1973???
I was in Paris...My parents decided to show me all of the well-known hallmarks of the city one day, then the Louvre the day after. This was followed by a trip to Versailles and its Palace.
The whirlwind of these events remains in memory to this day. I was a gawky thirteen-year-old who spent much of my time craning my neck at paintings, in awe of towers, arches, speeding cars and growing crowds. While the Hall of Mirrors fascinated, it also repelled, as I could not imagine myself beyond what I thought of as the "ugly duckling phase" or walking in such a place routinely.
The day of my fourteenth birthday found Paris clear, bright and beckoning. I did not learn until then that London awaited yet another trio of tourists. Travel to England was so uneventful that I dozed until our arrival at the flat we stayed in that week.
The flat was near a park, and across the street, a Wimpy's, England's answer to the now ubiquitous McDoos. Never a fan of fast food, I nonetheless made Wimpy's acquaintance when my parents announced one evening that they had plans and I was to remain in with the telly. My dad said my dinner was in a bag in the kitchen, piping hot. I have no idea whether the Wimpy's creations of today bear any resemblance to those, but I do remember them as fresh and better than any burger I had thereafter. My choice to become a vegetarian in adulthood is no reflection upon Wimpy's.
It wasn't long until telly and burgers were supplanted for all time by a trip to the Piccadilly Theatre, featuring a production of Gypsy, with Angela Lansbury. It was my first opportunity to view professional actors on stage and I remained transfixed the entire time.
Sadly, the cherished playbill from that occasion, along with other mementos, have been lost. You can find out more about the theatre here: http://www.london-theatreland.co.uk/theatres/piccadilly-theatre/history.php.
The postcard you may have seen during a previous post. While this entry is of no historic importance to anyone but me, I wish every kid could have the chance to experience the London stage and the sights of Paris.
Have a happy day...
8 comments:
That's a wonderful memory. I would have loved to have seen Angela Lansbury in Gypsy. The only Wimpy burger I ever ate wasn't a very good one. It was our first American hamburger place in our small town. It was many years later that I was introduced to that other well-known burger :) Thank you for these lovely memories you have shared today. I enjoyed them very much and I hope you and Mercy are doing well?
That's a great time to remember today!
Thank you so much for sharing these lovely memories.To see Angela Lansbury on stage, oh my, that was definitely wonderful. August of '73 had me newly married, living in St. Paul. Yours sound much better!
Those are some special memories. You're very lucky to have seen Europe at such a young age. I didn't get to London and Paris until I was 33! I never see Wimpy much anymore -- they're still around but only in small numbers. Glad to hear your tests revealed nothing unusual.
Happy birthday E and many many more. Lovely trip when you were only 13. Parents have no idea the gift of travel to their children lasts a lifetime!
XO
WWW
What a fantastic trip!
August 1973: I was getting ready to leave my country of birth, Sri Lanka. We were busy, packing up our house and saying goodbye to family and friends.
Well written. Like I was right there with you. Happy Birthday.
Happy birthday! I think this might have been the very first post of yours I ever read.
Post a Comment