Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Remembering...



Today

The solitary practice of making tea by the cup…
A prelude to our late morning phone calls
Started when your girls were in diapers and down for naps
You always began with a joke or a funny story
Our natter quickly turning to the world beyond our doors or
Some book neither of us could put down
Your treks into the desert, telescope in hand
Looking for the perfect night’s sky, filled notebooks
Now in a box, closeted in a city apartment, far from the landscape you adored

I sip my tea alone, the only sound

Your voice in my head...


This commemorates the passing of my friend Pauline  ten years ago. Knowing someone from college to  death is a rare privilege, and I think of her and the family that included me often.

Many thanks for the birthday salutations and my apologies for spotty blogging.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Beautiful memories, beautifully said.

Bless said...

What a lovely way to remember your friend and the anniversary of her passing.

I hope that you are keeping well and Mercy is doing well, too.

Wisewebwoman said...

How lovely. I had such a friend and miss her so much. Friends since we were 6 and a blasted brain tumour got her.
Gorgeous writing, e!
XO
WWW