I've not been myself lately. I don't seem to sleep consistently and appear to do more often during the day. Each stretch is 3 to 4 hours depending upon the call of nature and I have difficulty returning to sleep. This pattern is noted among the elderly, so I am not surprised given that the typical lifespan for me as a person living disabled by CP is 30 to 70 years and has been less until my generation.
Considered geriatric at 45, I am currently almost 67. No-one of my acquaintance living disabled has reached 70 and in my present state. that milestone isn't likely for me either, hence the need to tend to my affairs prior to surgery.
Though the surgery may rid me of cancer, that isn't a given until the cancer is staged, the lymph nodes are examined and the need for further treatment determined. The surgery can lead to lymphedema, problems related to urinary incontinence, bladder prolapse and other issues in persons of my present condition, especially in the event that my surgeon needs to cut me from hip to hip rather than taking a less invasive approach. She needs to see the lay of the cells and spread once I am laid on the table before reaching a decision about that.
Then there are the myriad issues accompanying anesthesia for persons having my disability. This requires planning, understanding the patient's previous reactions and experiences in surgeries and in my case, because medical folks dispense addictive opioids, any family history of addiction or alcohol use disorder. An epidural anesthesia has been suggested for me. This poses additional risks in itself and may be tricky given my long existing scoliosis.
Perhaps at this point you may begin to grasp the complexity of issues for me. I regret that I am older going through this, that I am exhausted and that I am at the mercy of the American insurance and healthcare system, that some of you as former medical professionals label a s--t sho-. Though I cannot disagree, it is not helpful to hear or read.
This post is the last one to discuss surgery and related issues as I desire some privacy around them at this time.
I hope you all are happy and able to enjoy each day.
Happy Thursday!
9 comments:
E, you've been very forthcoming and I appreciate that. Your situation is more complex than most of us can grasp, and thank you for honoring us. Yes, you're entitled to be spared people's armwaving about the state of healthcare. That's not the point. It's your daily life and doings that are the point. And I wish you whatever pleasure you can get, with the assistance of Miss Mercy.
Thank you e for breaking it all down for your readers and like you say, enough said about this. You need to conserve your energy for what's ahead of you. As it will be quite the ordeal no doubt. For anyone. But especially when you have other serious pre-existing conditions to contend with .
I'm rooting for you up here in the middle of multiple snowstorms in the North Atlantic.
As we say up here : Long may your big jib draw my friend. An old sailing term.
XO
WWW
Thank you for this information, e. Enjoy Miss Mercy, nap when you can and know you have many people who care about you that you've never met.
Thinking of you and your strength in going through all this.
E, thanks for helping us understand your thoughts and what you're going through. We're thinking of you. I hope you're able to get some support to help you navigate these waters emotionally as well as physically. It's a lot to deal with.
Thank you for this very detailed update. I was wondering how things were going with you and decided to spin by. I echo the sentiments of your other commenters. I think they have said it better than I can but I just want you to know I care and will be back periodically to check on you.
Thank you for explaining the complexities of your particular health situation, e. Obviously, it's not a straight forward issue with you and one condition is excacerbated by other, existing conditions. I deal with several chronic health issues, myself, and they all come into play when I have to be treated for one condition. Take care of yourself and preserve your energy for when you will need it. We are all keeping you in our prayers and are wishing you the best.
It's been longer than I realized since I've caught up with you, e. So very sorry you are going through this latest health challenge on top of all the others. Our current health issue sounds quite similar and I wish you a quick and positive resolution. I got my affairs in order before surgery as well. My mantra was, Plan for the worst and hope for the best. I think it's a wise approach for anyone but especially as we get older. You'll be in my thoughts. Miss Mercy is one adorable little cat :)
I hope you and your doctors will be able to work through the medical issues, one by one. I believe you you will be able to figure them out, they are not insurmountable. I am holding good thoughts for you as you go through this. One day, one breath, one belief in the good at a time. Sending love.
Post a Comment