Sunday, November 30, 2025

Saturday...

 She made it sound so simple...have an MRI to see my cancer and get some idea about its depth, spread and change since detection and diagnosis...

Am I claustrophobic? Do I need sedation? They play music and you'll have head phones...

According to instructions, I could not eat or drink for six hours preceding my 10:30 AM appointment at Moffitt's McKinley Hospital. 

Upon arrival, one is identified and given an ID band, taken to a changing room and given hospital garb. Mine included a traditional cloth gown and some oversized disposable long pants. Then came the large IV in the crook of my right arm for the contrast dye. and a shot in my left shoulder.

The table came to me as my chair could not be in the room, I got positioned, strapped in, blanketed and slid back into the room and given headphones before being placed inside the MRI machine. Some equate this as an oversized coffin. I elected not to look and simply kept my eyes closed. 

All good until the last stretch...the dye burned a bit going in and suddenly extreme perspiration, clamminess and nausea set in...a reaction to the dye. I requested a bathroom but nothing came up. The nurses gave me some crackers and kept an eye out until I could dress, collect my personal items and be escorted to the main lobby to find the friend that accompanied me. 

Lunch picked up on the route home, the total time spent on all of this took five hours. I ate, vomited and fell into bed exhausted. I am still very tired as of 3 PM today and though able to eat, have little desire to do so, Apparently the metals in the contrast dye can cause a variety of side effects that no-one mentioned.

The results should be in in time for my zoom meeting. I hope I feel better by then...

11 comments:

Boud said...

I've had a rotten reaction to a contrast dye. And they say well, most people are fine. Yeah. Well, at least it's done. And let's hope it gets you nearer a treatment plan. I hope by now you're feeling a bit better.

Sandra said...

Even though it wouldn't have stopped you from having the MRI it would have been nice to know about the potential side effects of the dye.

Wisewebwoman said...

They were remiss in not telling you of reactions so you were prepared. I am glad it's behind you now and the territory of the unknown will be clarified for you. All the luck and love go your way.
XO
WWW

Pensive Pensioner said...

What an awful experience for you. You are so brave, and I'm not sure i would be in your place. I do hope you feel better by now. Sending love and 🫂
Angie xxx

Bless said...

I am so sorry you were not notified of possible interactions to the contrasting dye! I've had MRIs done and I've always had to sign a consent form acknowledging that I've read and understood that there might be possible side effects. I do hope that you are feeling better now and the results will be good.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry you had that reaction. Not fun at all. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you get some rest today. Hugggs, Ivy.

Steve Reed said...

Just checking in to see how you are. I'll be in Tampa in a little more than a week. Maybe we can connect? Regardless, hope you're doing OK, all things considered!

Barbara said...

Hope the nausea passes very soon. Miss Mercy is as adorable as ever!
Xoxo
Barbara

DeniseinVA said...

Sounds like a dreadful experience and I am so sorry you weren't better informed. I am hoping by now that you will be able to enjoy the upcoming holidays but knowing what a dear family member of ours is going through, think perhaps you will just get through day by day. Wishing you only the very best of good things to come, you and Mercy. Will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes.

The Happy Whisk said...

Popping in to let you know that I'm thinking of you. I haven't had email in over a year otherwise I'd reach out to you that way. Thinking of you.

37paddington said...

Sending love and good thoughts. Keep us posted.