Thursday, August 7, 2025

Nursey Mercy...

 Tuesday chores turned into a major complication. After laundering my bedding, including coverlet, I attempted to smooth out the far side of the bed and slipped to the floor in a sitting position instead. Then I faced the question of getting up and decided to try the front room arm chair as a leveraging point using my upper arms since using my knees is painful. This might have succeeded had I not already been tired before ending up on the bedroom floor.

As it turned out, I got myself and chair into the front room and ran out out of steam, eventually falling asleep on the floor until Mercy licked me into consciousness, At that point, I decided to retrieve my phone from the kitchen charger and then realized I needed to unlock both my front and storm doors if anyone needed to come in, I eventually accomplished both tasks and called a friend. She reached me just as the last lock opened, closing Mercy in the bathroom and getting me gratefully hydrated. I called emergency services and fire rescue responded quickly. getting me up and into my chair in a flash before departing just as quickly.

My friend stayed to clean the floors, collect my groceries from the front stoop. make sure I ate and put on fresh pjs, and see me safely into bed. Mercy and I slept like rocks.

Today. a hot soak and cleaning has revealed some bruises and though still sore, I am better able to move around, feed myself, look after the cat, do some laundry and organize myself for a medical appointment on Friday. I must find a method of keeping my phone closer to hand and house keys are being given to the friend after the appointment. 

My thanks to everyone for the kind birthday salutations. I hope you all have a good day.

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That must have been incredibly frightening. I'm so glad that things were set right, eventually.

Boud said...

That was certainly a surprising turn of events. I'm glad you got everything resolved, but what an ordeal. Good idea for someone to have your key for times like this.

The bike shed said...

A nasty shock - but lessons learned no doubt - and gald you are okay.

Wisewebwoman said...

I am so sorry to read this e, how terrible for you. If you could find one of those pouches with a long thin strap to hang around your neck that would be a thought, they are cheap. Travel shops have them and I'm sure Amazon or Temu does as well.
I am glad the damage wasn't worse.
XO
WWW

Steve Reed said...

Good thinking to give your friend some keys, though hopefully this won't ever happen again!

Sandra said...

Yikes, this was frightening. You need something that can clip your phone to your clothes. There must be something like that. And, yes, giving your friend keys is a very good idea.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm very happy to read that your friend came over to help and how cute that little Mercy was there to wake you. All wonderful things.