Saturday, August 9, 2025

Not Yet...

 During my sudden copious bleed and visit to an E-R on July 11, I had a scan and a pelvic examination. The medical professionals prescribed a medication to stem the bleeding and essentially said, "Get thee to a GYN for a biopsy/" They acted as though I actually had cancer. 

The next business day, a Monday, I secured the first available GYN appointment in a practice that takes my Medicare PPO. I had that appointment yesterday, finally, expecting to have an in-office biopsy of  endometrium, the standard procedure, and one I had read about in preparation. Things did not go as anticipated. Firstly, I could not climb on the standard exam table. leaving all concerned flummoxed. Secondly,  as requested, my friend and I remained there for another three hours until the table used for sonograms became available. The attempted exam, a third negative experience, resulted in the doctor saying she could not see anything but some blood. After days of no bleeding. I had begun bleeding lightly again earlier that morning, a fact I shared on arrival there. This then resulted in the GYN sending me to a GP office in the same complex to make an appointment to be sure I am healthy enough to have an in-hospital D and C under general anesthesia, an environment that provides more help to the doctor in positioning me and getting me on or off the table. She handed me a pamphlet on fibroids and polyps and hastily left the room. My GP appointment is coming up. She is an internist. I hope she provides a better experience. I plan on asking her for a referral to another GYN and asking about their equipment before any appointment.

The absence of accessible tables is easily remedied as there are plenty available. The lack of them speaks to ignorance as they benefit all ages and the heavily pregnant in addition to persons like myself. Although I have read of this problem in medical journals that reference the problem being an impediment to care, this is the first time I've experienced it directly. As to one's positions on the table, that is an issue best handled patiently and not in a frazzled state. I do not yet have a diagnosis for this problem.

7 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

That is such a worry for you e, and the matter sounds far too urgent to be treated so cavalierly sending you from pillar to post and no disability allowances for the examination. Grrrrrr.
I hope it gets resolved soon.
XO
WWW

Boud said...

Well, this is disappointing. And I'm angry that they don't have equipment to cater to different body abilities right there. There are many situations in which a patient can't get onto the exam table. I hope your next try goes better.

Ms. Moon said...

I am sure this is all very frustrating. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

Barbara said...

Hoping you have answers very soon. This was eye opening for me, I had no idea that accessible tables would be an issue. Indeed your experience does point to ignorance, not acceptable in the medical community. I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this. All the best to you and little miss Mercy.
Xoxo
Barbara

Sandra said...

You know, there is no excuse for not having accessible tables or anything else for assisting people of varying abilities. Let's hope you get some answers and an appointment with a GYN who can give you some time.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm sorry the experience went down like this and hope you hear back soon regarding the results.

DeniseinVA said...

That is an awful experience and I am so sorry you had to deal with this in an already stressful situation. You will be very much in my thoughts.