Tuesday, July 15, 2025

Horse Stories

 A county flood advisory is in effect here though no rain has fallen since last night. My internet ceased  for short periods last evening due to thunder and lightening and more storms are expected in the next couple of days. Eighty feels a bit balmy compared to the mid-nineties. 

Other than the normal chores, I've been resting and reading and entertaining Mercy. She has been glued to me since my return from the E-R Friday night. The true stories of horses, their lives and adventures among those that love or care for them, have interested me since girlhood and the books of American author, Elizabeth Letts, do not disappoint.

The Perfect Horse details the fate of Lippizaner stallions taken during World War II  from Spanish Riding School by the Nazis and the American rescue mission that preserved them. Horse history buffs should enjoy this.

The Ride of Her Life delves into the life of an older Mainer dubbed "Jackass Annie" by others in her hamlet of Minot, Maine, and her journey, saddled or on foot, from Maine to California, accompanied by horses and her dog. All of them shared a great bond. Her story captured 1950's media and the hearts of its readers. The book also explores changes such as the rise of car culture, the development and impact of the interstate system and the coming of television. 

A third book by this author, entitled, The Eighty Dollar Champion, captures the life of horseman, teacher and immigrant Harry de Leyer and his champion farm horse, saved from the knacker's truck and intended as lesson horse for a girl's school. As in all of her previous books, this one is about much more. I leave those discoveries to you. 



8 comments:

Sandra said...

I am familiar with both stories. I had a trainer with a Lippizaner stallion and I had two half Arabian foals sired by him. They have quite a history. I have some remebrance of hearing about the woman who crossed the country with an equine, but it's blurry. I will look for these books.

e said...

You'll enjoy them, Sandra, and they should be in your library if you don't buy them.

DeniseinVA said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. Those horses are truly magnificent! I hope your rains abate. We have been having thunderstorms and heavy lightning here, and several flash flood warnings. I hope you all stay safe where you are, where everyone is for that matter. The weather has been horrendous in places.

e said...

Thank you Denise!

DeniseinVA said...

Sounds like a marvelous book and one I would enjoy. Thank you for sharing it. I hope your rains aren't too fearsome. We have had very loud thunderstorms and heavy rains this week, with flash flood warnings. It has also been in the 90s.

Jean said...

E. L. is indeed a magnificent author.

I gave the first book to a horse-lover friend and it turned out one of her uncles was involved with that rescue effort! She loved the book.

I bought the second book and hate to admit it is still in the waiting-to-read stack. I need to move it to the top.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

I read only non fiction and I love ❤️ animals. This looks like my kind of book.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog