Tuesday, July 22, 2025

Anyone for...Anchovies?

 So, I'm parked in front of the side counter in my kitchen. Garlic, herbs and tomatoes gently bubbling in a bit of olive oil...I glance around and realize I've forgotten something...the anchovies. Retrieving them from the hall pantry, I return to the same spot in the kitchen, park my chair and give the sauce a stir. As I pop the anchovies open, I feel a tug on my shoulder and discover that Mercy has climbed up the back of my chair, ever curious about my activities.

Before I can blink, my calico girl, notoriously suspicious of any food other than her favorite kibble, has her head in the anchovies, and and is smelling and licking mightily...

The tin and remaining bits of fish get knocked to the floor, as she hurriedly jumps off my lap. I grab the tin, attempting to clear up the oily mess to a chorus of frustrated cries...

The only experience I have regarding this behavior came the day I opened sardines and my elderly ginger cat, Lukas, yowled so piteously


I thought the neighbors might report me for animal abuse. He did calm himself and unlike Mercy, did not scale either chair or person to get to the object of his desire...

Just for grins and giggles, do you think there is a video on YouTube entitled, Cooking and your Cat? 

Perhaps a first for the Food channel...


5 comments:

Boud said...

I think Mercy has more talent than I realized. The Kitten in the Kitchen.

Wisewebwoman said...

Clever kitty. Next step shrimp?
XO
WWW

Sandra said...

Boud's title for the cooking show is perfect! Mercy certainly knows what she wants.

Steve Reed said...

The scent of those anchovies really pusher her over the edge, I guess!

Steve Reed said...

The scent of those anchovies really pushed her over the edge, I guess!