Wednesday, July 23, 2025

A Quiet Anniversary

 Yesterday I quietly observed the second anniversary of Lukas's passing. He came into my life seven years ago as a senior. His charm and loving disposition have never been rivalled and I adored him from the start.

A myriad of health problems plagued him. Thyroid, eyes and vision, osteoarthritis, heart murmur, high blood pressure, and kidney disease the issue that finally ended his life. Initially healthy enough to complete the 131 radiation treatment for his thyroid and get needed dental extractions and cleaning, I assumed incorrectly that he and I had many happy years ahead. Five is such a small number, but looking back, I'd not trade a day of my time on the Lukas adventure.

A stray taken in by another client of my veterinary hospital, an all cat practice, Lukas needed re-homing after sustaining an injury inflicted by a resident cat at his home. The vet called and inquired about my interest in adopting Lukas and I agreed to a meet and greet. Lukas hid the entire time, leaving me uncertain about a match. Luckily for Lukas, I'm persistent and patient. Equally lucky for me, my efforts inspired devotion, a balm after losing Jacob the year before.

I still miss Lukas and his gentle presence. Mercy and I spent the day playing and I made several quarts of minestrone in an effort to use up some fridge and pantry items. No anchovies harmed in the making of this soup!



12 comments:

Boud said...

I felt as if I knew Lukas, too. I was so sad when he died. And now Mercy is a complete change of pace.

Steve Reed said...

I had forgotten that Lukas was already a senior when you adopted him. You gave him a good life in his final years!

Wisewebwoman said...

His final years were a blessing to him thanks to you!
XO
WWW

Bag End Gardener said...

Hi, just came over from Sue at Eatingwellonasmallbudget.

Lukas landed on all four-paws when you gave him a home, and I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how many, or few, years we have with our fur-babes, we love them just as deeply.

I lost my last girl six years ago - she might have been around 7 or 8 when I rescued her, and I only had seven years with her but the bond was just as strong. I still miss her . . . so much, just as you miss your boy. 💚🐾

37paddington said...

You never stop missing a beloved companion like Lukas. He had a good life with you.

e said...

Thank you, one animal lover to another. He is indeed missed and still loved, and Mercy came along just at the right time.

e said...

Thank you. I tried...

e said...

Thank you for that very kind compliment, I really tried, understanding that he had a hard life beforehand and his disposition made loving him easy...

e said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your girl...losing beloved pets can be as difficult as losing people. Thank you for visiting and commenting and please feel free to return. I could not send an email but if you send one, I'll reply. Have a good day.

e said...

Thank you!

John Going Gently said...

A gentle face

e said...

Thank you. He exemplified gentle in every respect.