It feels like it has been a long, mostly dark and rainy day. It started early as groceries expected by 7 AM arrived at the earlier portion of the timeframe for delivery, so Mercy and I arose at 5 AM. Getting the groceries in proved a damp affair as it had rained overnight. After putting them up, I got a soaking in my run to the dumpster and turned on the heating until I could change. Mercy did not like the trails of liquid left on the floor by my chair as I moved around and secreted herself behind the bathroom vanity until I returned to bed for several hours. She, ever the vigilant alarm, poked me back to reality in time for our lunch.
If any of you recall the stern admonishment about getting a chill or cold from the rain that many in my mother's generation believed true, this is a popular fiction created by parents to keep their offspring from getting drenched at inopportune times. Being in this area means rain can come at anytime, especially in the next six months and at any amount. The sprinkle I had going out became a full onslaught in the short distance to my door and a soaked chair is slick and hard to maneuver. The black rain coat that makes me look like one of the grim reapers in an old television series entitled, Dead Like Me, is currently aired and hanging at the front of the closet in case I decide on another such adventure. If you've not seen the series, Google it. The first season is quirky, deftly done and the cast is great.
Cheers!
7 comments:
My mother certainly believed and propagated that urban myth.
Yes, getting wet meant pneumonia!
I had a mother-in-law who insisted that the "night air" would make you sick.
It is funny how we repeat these myths so often they appear as fact. "You'll catch your death of cold!"
I can only imagine how hard it would be to maneuver a wheelchair in the rain. But yes, summer is coming on, so keep that coat handy!
I don't remember being told that but then I don't remember a lot of things! Mercy won't let you miss lunch.
It has been raining hard here but lessened somewhat. We also had high winds but thankfully has lessened also. I have been looking for something new to watch. Thanks for sharing that show.
I'll have to ask Tim if he knows this show or not? It sounds like I've heard the title before. Can't say for sure.
Post a Comment