A couple of my readers responded to the aging technology in my household by saying that made them nervous or that they disliked Kindles and preferred books. As the operating system in my laptop is becoming obsolete and is no longer supported, I really haven't a choice about replacement in the near future. I cannot install the latest operating system on something not designed for it. The fact that I can no longer type out the at symbol, the number too or the letter double U is also a signal that obsolescence is nearing.
As for my e-reader, it is ten years old and dead. The replacement battery has been difficult to find and if purchased, requires DIY installation, presumably opening the Kindle up and not cracking the screen in the process. I have decided to replace it and transfer the titles from the old to the most recent once it arrives. Though I too like the heft of a book in my hands, the Kindle is better and easier for storage and handling and permits me to check out books from my library system online to be stored and read via Kindle for the duration of the loan period. This also permits me to avoid the fees and hassles of public transportation and carrying books back and forth and the books possibly being stolen or damaged as has happened in the past. As one not driving and having limited transport at best, these are my best choices. I use both a computer and my e-reader almost daily.
9 comments:
New reader here. My kindle has changed my life. I have access to 3 libraries so when I place a hold one might come through before another.
Staying abreast of new technology is wise, though occasionally frustrating.
Whatever works for you. My comment that I prefer hard copy books was a reflection of me, and certainly not a criticism of you.
I did not consider your comment a criticism, simply explained my usage. It saves me time, aggro and money in the long run. Have a good day and thanks for commenting,
Thanks for your comment and my Kindle has made library use easier for me too. Have a good day and feel free to visit anytime.
You're right on both counts. The hardest part is the customer service if I have a question.
I have the library app on my phone and listen to books every day. I have shelves of books and like having them here, but the library system is what I use now. And I like someone reading to me!
I enjoy being read to and like audiobooks for that reason but I tend to read to relax right before bed.
I see all technology as tools and they usually have good and bad sides. As you said, it all depends on usage.
Post a Comment