Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Secrets

 The day started drearily. While I originally intended to strip the bed and finish laundering, I instead went back to bed. snuggling with the wee girl until our groceries were delivered. She is now upside down playing with a ball in bed while I make plans for another batch of minestrone, a salad and a curry with rice. All of this should see me fed into Tuesday. 

My last book, DNA Never Lies, by Sue George, despite being a novel, is also a treatise on the perils presented by genetic genealogy for those harboring long-held family secrets. Because DNA can now be tested. the potential exists for such secrets to be exposed and bring with that unforeseen consequences for individuals and families. 

I have a real life example of this in my tree on my mother's side which involves her paternal grandfather's family who were/are cousins and who are related to another family through bigamy they know nothing about. Imagine what it is like being told by a professional team of genealogists and DNA experts that a man I know by one name is actually someone who juggled two identities and for a time two different families until leaving one state for another and having more children with a woman who was not legally his wife. It was easy to get away with this in 1889. 

To also be told that as a result of DNA testing I was the only tree containing this information is rather jarring. I have since only told one other descendant with a tree, and what amazes me is that no-one else who looks at her public tree has noticed. My tree is private. Having been given access to a maternal cousin's DNA matches, I know that the portion of my tree he occupies has been researched correctly because I can look at his matches and see to whom they are related in my tree.

I know other secrets mat exist and have my suspicions about at least one. Whether I will eventually tear the lid from this figurative Pandora's box remains to be seen,

How much can one person discover before the knowing becomes a burden?

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I think it would be interesting to know these secrets- the burden isn't really yours to bear. These things happened. Humans are and always have been up to no good. Having said this, I have not had my DNA tested. Not because of what I'm afraid I might find out but because I don't have an overwhelming need to know. I guess.

Sandra said...

That's a good question. I found a few secrets and lies when I was doing a family tree. I don't feel burdened by the knowledge, but I don't have an emotional connection to any of it. You discovered quite a hornets nest, at least it is far back. That would make a difference to me.

Give the wee on a scratch on the head from me.

Boud said...

That's interesting. It certainly trumps family anecdote and inaccurate memories! Some people have had major unwelcome discoveries as a result of testing DNA.

Wisewebwoman said...

A few if nt family members had theirs done. Not sure about it myself as odd stories might be confirmed. If it was gifted to me I might.
Are we better off not knowing?
XO
WWW