Sunday, January 14, 2024

NADM

 It has been cloudy and dreary here. The wee girl and I had a surprise when water was heard dripping loudly in our apartment. I looked outside and when it wasn't raining. I checked the hot water heater and then the bathroom only to discover water pouring through the fan vent in the ceiling. As luck would have it, my above stairs neighbor was not at home and despite four calls to my condo management emergency number. no one appeared to assess the situation. I then called a general contractor of my acquaintance who showed up. had difficulty turning the water off for the building outside. gathered some extra buckets from a neighbor and said that there was nothing else to do until the neighbor directly above came home. She showed up on the heels of his departure and eventually knocked on my door apologizing for the mess and explaining that her toilet had overflowed while she was gone. She was nice enough to clean up my bathroom and return the borrowed buckets to the lady next door.

I had emptied five buckets of water and mopped but until the leak fully stopped the water kept coming. so my efforts were futile. All is quiet now and having closed the bathroom and left the front door ajar for some fresh air while Mercy naps in her stroller, I can enjoy a bite to eat and some peace. I'll be replacing the bathroom fan soon.

Cheers!







[ping *******************************************************--+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

5 comments:

Boud said...

Good thing you knew a contractor and could get him to come out. At least the neighbor did what she could to help when she got home. This is why I never leave anything going when I leave the house! Better wait till the toilet has finished flushing, don't leave appliances going, all that. Especially when you have a downstairs neighbor. You didn't need this excitement on a holiday weekend.

Let's hope for peace now. Aside from any plans of Mercy's, that is.

Elephant's Child said...

A big, big sigh. And hooray for a neighbour who was prepared to step up to the pass and clean your bathroom. I suspect many would not.
I hope that is your last drama for a while.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a nightmare. Good luck in the repairs.

Sandra said...

Yikes! Bless the guy for turning off the water. Will your neighbor pay for the fan? I would.

Wisewebwoman said...

You didn't need that kind of stress but hurray for good neighbours and an obliging contractor. I do hope you are compensated for the disaster.
XO
WWW