Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy 2024

  My tradition for many years has been Hoppin' John, greens and tomatoes as a first meal on New Years Day. This is a southern tradition from the Carolinas. I was taught that the peas, which are actually a legume or bean, symbolize coins, the greens, dollars and the tomatoes, health.This year I added a chopped salad and some watermelon for dessert.


Paying homage to humble yet filling foods if one is lucky to be alive and well in these crazy  times is fortune in itself. 

Cheers, happy 2024 and be well.



7 comments:

Boud said...

Happy new year, and thank you for explaining the significance of the foods. I hope you and Mercy have a fun and healthy year.

Ms. Moon said...

My mother always said it was peas for peace, rice for riches and greens for...I can't remember.
Whatever. It's a good meal.

The Happy Whisk said...

That's fun that you have something you like to eat and then changed it up a bit. Sounds fun and yummy.

Joanne Noragon said...

A good meal. I'll have to suggest it to the kitchen.

Elephant's Child said...

No New Year's food traditions here. I am still eating the fruit salad that I made for Christmas. And enjoying it.

Sandra said...

I've learned something new, never heard of that meal. It sounds good. We had nothing special, but that is okay. I'm wishing you and wee Mercy a fabulous year.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I've heard that a Southern custom is to eat black eye peas for the New Year! Sounds good! Happy New Year