Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Trashed

 It is a balmy 55 F as I write and just before 8 AM. The trash truck has just been and gone which means I can make a run once Lukas is out the door and on his way to his midweek appointment, He has a harem of vet ladies who love him despite his grumpiness at having to get fluids and ride in a car.

Fortunately, his pet sitter is endowed with a sunny disposition and has a sense of humor. She plays music for him on the way and back and her small sons love him. If any of you remember the comic strip about an orange cat named Garfield. that may provide an insight into Lukas. 

As for me, I am reading a lengthy autobiography and will work on a jigsaw over my morning's hot drink. I use to love doing the same with the papers, both local and national, but those days are behind me.

Having made an aborted attempt at dumping the household trash, I am disgusted that people think our trash man will pick up a shelf, a desk chair and the remains of a lamp? and some large boxes.  I was unable to get close enough to the dumpster cage to even think of opening the side because of all of the debris left out around it.

The alternatives, such as breaking down containers and boxes for re-cycling, donating unwanted items or arranging for pick up all require forethought and some attempt at consideration.

One of many factors that cause me pangs of regret over ever having come here.

Years ago, post Katrina, New Orleans put signage on all city receptacles saying, "Trash your city, trash yourself." 

I think we need to do the same.

























5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Is there any way you can move?

Elephant's Child said...

We see similar issues here. Sigh.

Sandra said...

I am old enough to remember Garfield! If we don't properly bag our trash and place it in the container the collector won't pick it up.
I hope the rest of your day is better than the start of it. Enjoy the book. We are going to have snow tonight.

Wisewebwoman said...

So challenging for you and so selfish of these careless garbage tossers. I love that New Orleans phrase. So meaningful. I will always remember the coastal cleanup days of my seaside living when we would have 100 bags of trash picked up over the day, most of it washed in from the boats at sea, all sorts of harmful debris (poor seabirds!). Some people don't deserve to live on our planet.
XO
WWW

DUTA said...

We've got bins for trash, and nearby, arrangements for bigger dumped stuff, so things are more or less kept in order.