Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Green Bananas

 Midweek groceries arrived with the green bananas as in they were just cut from the tree and shipped. The last bunch I had like that never ripened at all, just rotted without being able to be eaten. Disappointment doesn't cover what this previously raised in the tropics woman felt about the waste, not enjoying her yogurt, peanut butter or cereal as usual or simply being unable to snack on one. First world problems. I know but part of me thinks, "Food costs a bloody fortune and I paid for this?"

I'm attempting to ripen them in a paper bag atop the refrigerator. 

Has anyone had success with this?

Cheers!



7 comments:

Boud said...

A lot depends on just how green, I think. Some just don't ripen.

Elephant's Child said...

The paper bag trick does work. The bananas pictured are at the stage of ripeness I prefer, but my partner would agree with you that they are unripe.

e said...

Dear EC, my bananas were green, not yellow at all. Amazon has already given me a refund.

DUTA said...

They look beautiful. I buy them green, and in two-three days they become ripe and ready to get eaten.

Ms. Moon said...

All of the bananas I've seen at the stores recently have been green. Must be something going on.

Sandra said...

I know the paper bag works for tomatoes, so I think it should for bananas.

Val Ewing said...

No clue at all since I rarely eat bananas, I don't like them. My father when he was in his late 80's would quip -- Don't buy green bananas, you don't know if you'll live to eat them! --
He was hilarious about old age.