Monday, October 17, 2022

A Scary Moment

 My routine during the week is to pack Lukas off to the vets early morning on his designated days for fluids. Having given him his morning meds and breakfast and stashed him in his carrier, I went about changing his litter box, supplying fresh water and washing his food bowl, noting briefly that he seemed a bit grumpy. His pet sitter arrived cheerful and punctual and with their departure, I awaited a doorstep delivery of groceries. 

When the mobile suddenly went off, I was not expecting a rather harried sounding member of the vets office. "We're concerned that Lukas isn't himself today," and peppering me with questions about food, meds, recent behavior at home and whether I had noticed anything unusual beyond this bout of grumpiness.

My first thought was renal failure, followed by blood pressure concerns, and I spent the time after this call alerting his pet sitter to the situation while awaiting a diagnosis from the veterinarian and inwardly telling myself not to panic.

Her call, when it came, was almost anti-climactic. She explained that Lukas appeared wobbly on his pins and while this could be due to any of several things, his weight, heart and blood pressure were fine. She, however, noticed him scratching his ear and checked for possible signs of infection, recommending a course of two medications and monitoring for vertigo. After getting his first doses there, he came home demanding more breakfast, lapping at his water and then promptly taking himself off for some beauty sleep.

Poor baby...


5 comments:

Boud said...

Poor e, too. That sounds a bit alarming.I hope it resolves quickly.

Wilma said...

Poor baby, indeed. Hope you found time for some beauty sleep as well. Or at least some time to recompose yourself after this latest bit of stress.

Elephant's Child said...

Poor baby indeed. And poor you.

Ms. Moon said...

Lukas certainly has an incredibly attentive vet.

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor sweetie.