Monday, May 9, 2022

More From Nurse Ratched...

 Lukas was again hospitalized and has come home. He is on several drugs and will be getting fluids subcutaneously three times per week at the vet. I have hired someone to take him back and forth without having to come in. We will be getting up early and if things go as they did today, Lukas will be home in a snap.

As I said in a previous post, any improvement is short lived because chronic kidney disease is always ultimately fatal. The only thing one can do is manage symptoms and keep the cat comfortable until the drugs no longer work and the animal ceases to eat, interact, eliminate properly or shows signs of pain. Because cats are experts at masking pain, this can be tricky but vets typically advise looking at changes in eating, drinking, sleep and interaction as well as personality.

At the moment, Lukas is beginning to struggle with signs of osteoarthritis in his back legs which may also mean that he is in some pain. He briefly collapsed against my bedroom door on Friday night when one leg gave out. He was able to right himself quickly but he is also hesitant to jump up or down and has missed when several jumps have been attempted. Right now he is licking and playing in a box in our front room but that aside, I don't believe he has long. 

I will enjoy what I can and hope that I am giving him some good days...


8 comments:

Wilma said...

I'm sure you will treasure these good moments with Lukas. Thinking of you.

Boud said...

Yes, that's how it went with dear Boud. As soon as she was in distress despite all, we said goodbye. But still there's a bit of time to enjoy each other's company.

Elephant's Child said...

HUGE hugs. I have been down the kidney disease path before (and fortunately the cat did let us know when she had enough). It is a hard time, and my heart goes out to you both. Here Jazz is in the one step forward, two stages back stage. When we can get his magic pill down him he improves dramatically. For a few days.
Much love - and feel free to email me if it helps.

Steve Reed said...

I'm so sorry, E. It's always hard to know what to do in these situations.

Poppy Q said...

You give Lukas lots of kosses and snuggles. You will know when the time is right mama.

Julie and poppyq

DUTA said...

This is sure heartbreaking! May God give you the strength to watch Lukas and do the best you can.

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh ... poor little guy. Oh my goodness. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. I hope you enjoy some precious time together.