Lukas saw his vet early morning today. He was given an enema which is primarily water since he had not had any luck with the Miralax in a week, subcutaneous fluids and drops for the herpes flare up in his eye. He came home at 4 PM. He was alert and talkative and wanted to be wherever I was and resumed his habit of following me around our home. Lots of slow blinks, licking and head butting, tall tails and happy purrs.resulted.
About 9 PM I went to turn in, only to discover small trails of poop almost everywhere, including the towels placed on his favorite chair, those in his carrier and others on the bed. He is now in the only small bathroom and confused about why he is alone and his litter box is in my shower. I have wiped him down several times only to have to do it again...
While the vet did shave that area in an effort to make it easier to clean, there is some in the remaining fur of one leg. My bedding and towels have been washed and dried and are in a large pile awaiting folding and I will re-make the bed before mopping the kitchen and calling it quits, probably around 430 AM.
Someone left a comment to the effect of "don't you think it is time for him to go..."
Obviously, someone must think I am delaying his demise...Not so. I have discussed the situation with his vet twice in the last two weeks. I will be calling the hospice vet soon. They come to the home which is less stressful for Lukas than carting him to his vet or an after-hours emergency clinic.
In the meantime, I will take care of him and do my best to take care of me. The blog entries I make about this are intended to describe life with a kidney cat. Jacob went through some of the same but did not have so many underlying conditions.
Now, I have to figure out cleaning the bathroom...
7 comments:
He's lucky you are there, willing to do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable. And you are keeping up his spirits, clearly. He's still enjoying what he can. Good for both of you.
Our thoughts are with you. Just the time you want to cuddle him, and it must be distressing to him and you. Hugs to you and Lukas. Julie and poppyq xxx
I am so glad that you have a hospice vet. And KNOW that you wouldn't prolong his life unnecessarily. Huge hugs, much love and sympathy. And yes, we will be questioning our vet tomorrow (if we are able to get the promised appointment). Good luck - and I hope you can sleep.
Sending you both love through this difficult time. You have such a special bond with each other.
Sounds like a stressful night for both of you. Having had 2 cats and poo accidents I know how hard it is. Poor Lukas, poor you.
Each pet is different and it is so good that you can get hospice involved! I sure wish that had been an option all those years ago with JD. Lukas is a lucky boy to have you.
Well, I am relieved there is such a thing as a hospice vet because that's something sorely needed for pets, and Lukas (and you) will undoubtedly find their services very convenient and less disruptive. And if the regular vet is saying "not yet", that's a good thing.
I do wish there wasn't so much work involved in taking care of and cleaning up after kitty, though. It's exhausting, on top of the mental and emotional stress of an ill pet.
Hugs, e. And scritches for Lukas.
Post a Comment