By Request...

This photo was shared to a FB group to which I belong by the father in the photo. He is Cuna, Kuna or Guna, for which spelling varies and indigenous to Panama. As you can see, the children are garbed in multilayered and colorful Molas which are used for that purpose by women and kids. Molas are also made for sale to tourists. I have a small collection from my twenty years in Panama and some I inherited from my maternal grandmother who lived and worked there, along with my grandfather. My mother's family lived in the Canal Zone from 1940 to1971, and my mother was a teacher there from 1963-1979. She lived there from the age of two and her brother and sister were born there. I arrived there in 1959 as a four-month-old with her after the ill-fated first marriage fell apart, and spent my childhood there. I do not have a lot of photos or the ability to take more at this point. All of these with the exception of the family photo above have been previously posted. There are several books and more information on the Web about the several indigenous tribes of Panama as well the use and variety of Guna Molas. My grandmother's were made for tourists and sold as individual panels which she pinned up together on one wall in her home.
11 comments:
Gorgeous things. Thank you.
Thank you so much for the mola post and the family history. I eas wondering if molas are ever used to decorate the home as well as to wear, and it seems for your grandmother,they were. They're so full of energy and color.
I have a friend who came from Panama. She has the sweetest heart. Do you miss it?
Those are beautiful. Your family led an unusual life.
Ms. Moon-At times
EC Thanks
Jenny-There are lots of families like mine
Boud- yes they can be,
Such a great post! You have such great memories.
Your molas are very intricate and are so fascinating to scrutinize. Mine seem a little more simplistic, but perhaps that is only because I have been looking at them for so many years.
I remember your molas! It's always interesting to read about your experiences in Panama. As for pictures, you could even just take them out your window! (Assuming your camera is working, of course, which I guess it may not be...?)
Wilma--Most of mine date from the 1940s or early 1950s. I do have one or two which are much thinner and date much later so that may account for some of the difference.
Steve, I have no working camera and my phone camera takes grainy pics the size of my thumbnail.
Martha--Thank you!
Post a Comment