Friday, February 4, 2022

Happy Friday...

 It is partly sunny here and a much warmer 77 degrees. I've finished some correspondence, done some clean up and fed my increasingly vocal feline who is now almost asleep.

He sometimes sounds distressed, very much like Jacob did at the end of his life with chronic kidney disease. There are myriad reasons possible for this including bad teeth, thyroid or kidney problems, infections or dementia, to name but a few. Unfortunately, Lukas is unable to see his vet tomorrow as planned. She returned from COVID leave a couple of days ago only to develop worsening symptoms and return home. I only hope she has not spread COVID to her staff.

The friend who was to  transport Lukas works for public health and uses N95 respirator masks. She has promised to trim his nails if I leave him in a carrier and stay in my bedroom masked and away from her. His nails have gotten so long that he is clacking when he walks and if I wait another month for the new appointment at the vet, there is a chance they may perforate his pads, which can cause bleeding and infection. The vet will need to do bloodwork for Lukas at the appointment and may need to adjust his blood pressure medication.

In the meantime, I will keep both in healing thoughts.

Cheers!


6 comments:

Boud said...

Well now if I lived nearer I'd be glad to give Lukas a manicure. I'm glad you have a manicurist coming in though. I used to do all my cats and a number of petcare client cats too. They tended to be more amenable to me than to their owners.

When my cats aged they would do that endless shouting. I think dementia, though vets used to be reluctant to label them with that diagnosis for some reason.

Enjoy the warmer weather.

Wilma said...

My beloved cats JD and Max both died from kidney disease. They never seemed to be in any pain or discomfort, though. Hope all goes well with the nail trimming. I'm sure Lukas will feel much better without his claws clacking on the floor and hopefully that is all that is paining him.

Elephant's Child said...

Healing hopeful thoughts to all three of you are flowing your way. And hooray for good and helpful friends.

Jenny Woolf said...

That's a pleasant photograph. I am sorry that Lukas seems so unhappy, though. It could even be something like the long nails, I'm thinking. Long claws must be very uncomfortable for a cat, and I always assumed that the need to keep them under control is why they sharpen them on the furniture. I hope that he will soon be feeling better.

Joanne Noragon said...

I never could do cat claws. Never had a sanguine enough cat.

Ms. Moon said...

This must be so distressing for you! Not to mention for Lukas.