Friday, February 4, 2022

The Expat in Me...

 I decided recently to up the ante on my reading. As an expat, I have frequent itchy feet, meaning I would love to go. Since travel isn't doable at this point, one way to deal with that urge is to read, blog or chat online. Several bloggers boast international locations so I have begun asking for authors from their locales. So far. only Australia and New Zealand have responded. Thank you, Sue. I await Wales, Belize, Cuba and other countries.

Cheers!


7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Add another one to your Australian list. Marion Halligan. I like both her fiction and her non-fiction and have just finished her The Taste of Memory (non-fiction).

Boud said...

That's an inventive approach to virtual travel. Let us know what you read and your recommendations as you go. I'm usually up for writers new to me.

Wilma said...

Good Morning, e! I just got this book yesterday on my kindle and haven't started reading it yet -
The Fallen Stones: Chasing Butterflies, Discovering Mayan Secrets, and Looking for Hope Along the Way Kindle Edition
by Diana Marcum.
I got an early release, so it might not be out for general release yet.
Dennis and I stayed at the Fallen Stones Butterfly Lodge back in 1998 or 99, so I am interested to see how it is portrayed in the book. We found it to be a magical place and it is part of the experiences that led us to buy property in Belize in 2004 and move here in 2012.
Will you post a list of the other books that have been suggested to you?
cheers!

LL Cool Joe said...

I only read non-fiction. I hope you enjoy all the suggestions that other bloggers are recommending!

Steve Reed said...

Isn't that picture from our trip to Ybor years ago?!

Have you heard of BEAMZ? They provide online tours of exotic locales. I don't quite know what it is or how it works but blogger Linda Sue (from Lady Margaret's Curlers) uses it and she "travels" quite a bit that way. Might be worth checking out? I don't think it's free.

e said...

No it is not from Ybor and no I've not heard of BEAMZ but I'll look into it. Thanks.

I read more non-fiction than fiction these days, it seems but it will be interesting to see what I can get hold of here. I do plan to post about what I find and tell you what I think about the books. Cheers1

Wisewebwoman said...

I'm currently reading a book about Palestine, my first delve into that country. Though I knew a few ex pats in Toronto who refused to speak of their experiences and identified as Iranian.

I've read some great books this year so far, mainly fiction but a few non.

Love the photo.

XO
WWW