It was rainy and much cooler last evening than in recent days. We got into the forties and the rain washed the heat from the cracks in the sidewalk. Today has been sunny and mild, with more of the same predicted. I enjoy having the windows open as I am up and about. Sleep has been fitful with Lukas arising to demand breakfast at 3 AM regardless of the time we go to bed. This has caught up with me. At almost sixty-three, I can no longer tolerate late nights without a lack of energy or loss of function and living in the times we do, that is simply unwise. I have already experienced a scratchy throat which with sleep has retreated, fortunately.
The highlight of the afternoon was unpacking the new casters and axel and spacers for my chair, assembling tools and calling for a walk through. Happily, the gentleman I needed was available and all went smoothly. The casters feel so much better and nothing is out of place or falling off and I once again glide freely. A new seat, called a sling, in the world of wheelchairs, has been ordered and will also be replaced by yours truly. I feel a wee bit proud at this moment.
From some of the comments on my previous post, I can tell that wheelchair maintenance is not a topic most of my readers know about. Chairs have parts which wear out and need to be replaced. Front casters, forks, axels and spacers are among the most common. Seats or slings as they are known, sag with constant use, tires and rims, spokes, brakes and foot plates also require regular attention. One of you rather humorously enquired whether you caused my caster problems when pushing me over railroad tracks in 2013. Nope. Since then, I've gone through many sets of casters. Until COVID 19 made its nasty appearance in 2020, I was serviced regularly. Now, I will be changing out what I can when I can for cash. The two hundred twenty I spent is hardly chump change though when compared to the quote of 474 by my original chair vendor who pays technicians to make visits to homes, schools and hospitals, it may seem so. Needs must. as the saying goes, and right now, doing this without having to physically deal with another human in my space is in my best interest.
7 comments:
Well done you!! I'm impressed, though not surprised, that you got it done. That's a relief. Even doing your own work, it's not cheap though. You really have to be your own tech.
You SHOULD be proud. Well done, and how wonderful to have easy and safe movement again.
Hugs (of the non contagious kind) to you and to Lukas. Who is twinned with Jazz who has taken to waking me up well before 3.
Well, I would be more than a wee bit proud. I would be very proud! Good for you, e!
Happy Christmas to you and Lukas although I am not happy with him for waking you up at such an ungodly hour to be fed. Still- he is your familiar and I know how that goes.
Well done, what an achievement! Oh Lukas.. I suppose he will not take no for an answer, being a feline, he has his person well trained :) Wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas from over here x
Lukas and my tabby would get along quite well. She's been showing up in the middle of the night for a very long time! Nice to catch up with your blog. Merry Christmas to you 🎄
Well done, what an achievement! Oh Lukas.. I suppose he will not take no for an answer, being a feline, he has his person well trained :) Wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas from over here... and this comment did not post after all, so it is a bit belated! x
Brava E! I share your pride in something accomplished that would seem unachievable in Before Times.
Happy rolling again and a serious long chat with Lukas is in order.
XO
WWW
Post a Comment