My tradition for many years has been Hoppin' John, greens and tomatoes as a first meal on New Years Day. This is a southern tradition from the Carolinas. I was taught that the peas, which are actually a legume or bean, symbolize coins, the greens, dollars and the tomatoes, health. My version is without meat.
Paying homage to humble yet filling foods if one is lucky to be alive and well in these crazy COVID times is fortune in itself.
Cheers, happy 2022 and may everyone be well.
8 comments:
That sounds good.
I am continuing to eat the fruit salad I made for our Christmas Celebrations - and may top it up again tomorrow.
Happy New Year.
Happy new year! I'm having home made pea soup courtesy of a neighbor, with tomatoes and a green salad. Not exactly hoppin John, but near enough for government work! Happy new year, e.
Hoping for a much better year for you.
Happy New Year, e! My parents were from North Carolina, and likewise my sibs and I grew up with the tradition of black-eyed peas and greens (usually collard greens) on the first day of the year. Unfortunately, I've never cared for either. But I do like other peas/beans and greens, just not collards!
cheers, Wilma
I am going to cook some dried black-eyed peas along with some of ours from the garden which I froze. I figure that's extra good luck, right? And greens from our garden too. I will be cooking the peas with the Christmas ham bone. And making some corn bread. One of my favorite meals whether for New Year's or not!
Oh! And my mother claimed that the peas were for peace, the greens (color of money) for riches. I have no idea what the real story is but that's how I was raised. I'm thinking that everyone was ready for a humble meal after all the insane holiday foods.
Good for you E, I love that tradition. A friend would made something similar, also vegetarian.
Happy NY to you and Lukas.
XO
WWW
Happy New Year, E! I always think of you when someone mentions Hoppin' John.
What a lovely tradition. Happy new year! All the best for 2022.
Happy New Year to you!
Hoppin' John sounds very interesting, and I love your salute to humble and filling nourishment - very appropriate indeed for these times.
Wishing you all the very best for 2022 :)
Post a Comment