Not even the birds are up yet...
I went to bed at 3 AM after breaking down some boxes for recycling, making both a pasta dish and another curry to eat later this week, washing up, cleaning out the refrigerator and tidying the kitchen.
My Thanksgiving repast remains undecided. With a couple of options, on the day I will simply toss a coin, fix and enjoy. It will be nothing traditional.
In the meantime, I await a small grocery order as I enjoy some tea. I do need to mop but will wait until things are put away. Taking a page from Steve Reed's book, I'll likely wipe down the kitchen and cabinets and move on to the bathroom. Life in a small space generally means if I tidy one area, the next sticks out like a sore thumb until it too is tackled.
Has anyone seen The Big Bread Experiment ?
This is a documentary about a Yorkshire village and a group of women who join together to bake bread. Eventually, they and others restore an old flour mill for use and create a non-profit community bakery which is apparently now thriving.
I was saddened but not surprised at the number of additives in a typical loaf of sliced supermarket bread. Whoever coined the phrase better living through chemistry wasn't far wrong where your standard loaf is concerned. This bakery however emphasizes quality and flavor and the bread, scones and other items are all made without additives. Many of those involved had never made bread before joining the group which got help from two professional bakers before deciding to repurpose an old railway depot as a bakery site and calling the enterprise Bread, Actually.
In an altogether different vein, the Gallic mystery, Madame Blanc, offers my inner detective some interesting twists and a host of quirky characters. Ever the bibliophile, my bedside reading about a notable ten times great grandmother continues...
I wish everyone a good week and for those celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday, a safe one.
Cheers...

7 comments:
I agree about bought bread. I bake bread, will be making a batch today, using whole wheat flour, salt, yeast and vital wheat gluten. And warm water. That's it. The additives in commercial food are for keeping it shelf stable, rather than with concern for the humans.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving, whatever you decide to celebrate with. Lukas too.
I saw Madame Blanc pop up in one of my streaming services. Must give it a whack.
XO
WWW
Happy Thanksgiving. This post felt peaceful.
It is not yet 5am here. And nothing else is up.
I love that photo and hope that your day has been excellent. The Big Bread Experiment sounds excellent - and how I would like to taste that product.
I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful.
Thank you for the recommendations!
Cleaning sometimes does feel like an avalanche -- you do one little bit and the rest of the house just comes crashing down! I hope your Thanksgiving repast is excellent, whatever it turns out to be. The bread show sounds interesting -- Dave has taken to baking his own bread, which has been pretty fabulous! Still, I have a loaf of the store-bought stuff in the freezer for emergencies. :)
Lovely photo! Had never heard about Madame Blanc, will have to take a look!
We have also been doing home sourdough bread baking, which we actually started during lockdown. So much a superior product and well worth all that extra effort!
Post a Comment