Saturday, October 30, 2021

Still Tired But Better Everyday...

 Wednesday was trying on all fronts. My ride was a dear friend's husband rather than my friend because she was working during the appointment time. He arrived early and though the car windows were left open during our less than five minute ride and drop-off, he was also unmasked. He has been fully vaccinated and received both a booster and flu vaccine so I said nothing, preferring to keep conversation to a minimum. Upon arrival, I was dropped off outside, he went to park and then came into the store masked to be sure I had his phone number. I wore two masks and a face shield in the car and into the store.

Small and  mobbed, this Publix was renovated several years ago but never intended originally as a vaccination site. No one was making any effort to allow a six foot distance anywhere. The pharmacy had a small waiting area along the front and the few chairs were jammed together and full. I did my best to be apart from folks, but was surrounded until I was called.

While waiting, I watched several masked people. One was an older woman who made it her business to tell me I was in her way, pulling down her mask to make sure I could see her lips moving. Though I rolled  away, when she complained to the masked man behind the counter, he said I had a right to wait there and could she please pull her mask up and simply go around. She did but made sure he and I knew she was in a snit. Then there was a middle-aged bald guy who thought his mask was best worn around his chin. Do chins get COVID? I mean I've heard of COVID toes and fingers...

My time behind the portable screen was quick. The chirpy women giving the injections came to call me without her mask up and pulled it up when I asked. She spent most of her time telling me to relax my arms and asking which vaccine I wanted in which arm. I am not certain she asperated either needle and there was no attempt to keep me there for any amount of time after my booster to make sure I did not have an adverse reaction. Since the booster was different from my original COVID vaccine in March, I was fortunate not to have one.

What I did have and still do as I did with the J and J vaccine, is intermittent chills, extreme tiredness, pain at the site of injection and slight swelling in my armpit on the booster side. The flu arm was sore initially but is no longer.

The two COVID vaccination experiences are strikingly different and I honestly would prefer never to set foot or wheel in that Publix again.

It is in the sixties here today and I may attempt to clean my seldom-used screened porch...

Cheers.


7 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm coming to the States in a couple of weeks and am getting my booster jab on the day of my flight to AZ. I hope I'm not going to regret it but I just feel I'll be better protected whilst I'm there as my last vaccination was 6 months ago.

Glad you've had yours and didn't feel too bad afterwards.

Steve Reed said...

I'm sorry it was a less pleasant experience. I'm surprised your ride didn't mask, if only because YOU were so thoroughly masked. I think if I was transporting someone wearing a mask I'd wear one too out of simple courtesy. (Maybe he's not clear on the fact that his mask would be protecting YOU, just as yours protects him.)

And what was up with the grumpy older lady?! Some people.

Elephant's Child said...

I am very glad that you have had the booster - and equally sorry for all that you had to go through to get it.
I see quite a lot of unmasked noses here. Sigh.
Cleaning your porch? I vote for waiting for a day when you aren't tired and sore.

Ms. Moon said...

Well, mask wearers are in the minority here. I'm still wearing mine. But I haven't gotten my booster yet. Glad you got yours! Now- that is over and done with. For now, at least.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm relieved it's done and over. The drug store handled the clients well, but there was the usual scrum of unmasked people, marginally rude people. The injector was confused by the two separate injection cards I received from the county, and consolidated the three shots to one card. I asked for my two original cards, and have all three in my wallet. There's no accounting for all these people involved.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I had virtually no reaction to any of the three Pfizer vaccines I got. I got mine done at CVS and there was only a short wait and then the young woman (who was masked like all the other employees) was kind and gentle. I was actually pretty pleased with how it went. Assuming another booster is required next year, I'll probably go back there.

Wisewebwoman said...

Why on earth are there such nightmare experiences when one is just doing the right thing and protecting oneself (and others - so many don't get that!).

I am angry just thinking about what you went through. I found the second Pfizer shot experience a bad experience too, too long to go into.

Glad you're home and safe.

XO
WWW