Sunday, August 16, 2020

Kitchen Heresies

 That may seem an odd title, but Sunday  is generally my day to prepare whatever food I have for the week. Today I've made yellow rice, black beans, pasta and mashed potatoes and veggie cutlet with gravy and a Jackfruit curry with the remaining rice. None of this is from scratch and I've only ever seen Jackfruit in a can despite growing up in the tropics.

After almost six months of nothing but my own limited repertoire, I am more than ready to try some new things. The summer heat finds me eating a lot of fruit, yogurt. cheese, sandwiches, carrots. hummus and salad, along with pitchers of tea. I don't dare ask for watermelon on my grocery order. A friend did so and ended up with enough to feed her neighborhood.

I found six packets of Alessi soup mix in my cupboard and decided to make one for dinner last week. I added dried herbs, pasta, beans as it was a bean and pasta soup and some fresh greens, and fed myself for two nights. I've also re-discovered the joy of good quality peanut butter and jam without added sugar in a sandwich or on toast in the mornings.

What about you?



24 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Cooking (and eating) has felt a bit like hard work for a while.
Despite it being winter I have mostly been turning to salads. I did make a beef and wine casserole for himself, which has kept the wolf from his door for a while.
Stay well, stay safe - and hugs.

Boud said...

You seem to me to have a good range of meals going. I don't think even our Asian store, which has a lot of fresh produce I'm unfamiliar with, has jackfruit. They have sugar cane! Looks like walking canes.

Live and Learn said...

I've been eating a lot of one of my favorite summer foods--fresh tomatoes and cottage cheese. Yum.

Ms. Moon said...

Believe it or not, our Publixes have started carrying jackfruit and they are HUGE! Bigger than the biggest watermelons. And one day about a month ago, I was in Publix and I saw a woman, a very, very tall Black woman wearing a beautiful tailored short dress and high heels with dreads down to her waist, carrying a jack fruit under her arm on her hip and using her other arm and hand to speak on a phone.
I thought she might be a goddess.
Thanks for reminding me.
As to what we are eating- oh lord. Everything.

e said...

Thanks and hugs to you.

e said...

The jackfruit curry was frozen in a pouch. I hope it is worth trying. I never liked sugar cane or all the work it took. Thanks.

e said...

I've never tried that combination but will now that you've mentioned it!

e said...

Maybe she was. You make wonderful stuff, from scratch. I've never been that good. How did you learn?

Wisewebwoman said...

I've stopped cooking from scratch. I get some freshly prepared meals from Daughter or from curbside pickup. Really good stuff.

I love your kitchen.

XO
WWW

Steve Reed said...

Sounds like you're coming up with some creative eating. I wouldn't know what to do with jackfruit! (Although they are available at our local produce market.)

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear E, I am so glad to hear that you are experimenting with cooking. Your dishes sound delicious and healthy. During the lockdown period, I rediscovered the joy of baking after reading Elizabeth David's cookbooks. Thankfully, our village's shop has enough supplies of flour to keep us all going. One day we will have a lot to tell about our Covid days with our future godsons and daughters.

Best wishes, ASD

PS. Watermelon is perfect if you slice them and keep it in the fridge for a hot summer day.

e said...

You are fortunate. I have neither daughter nor vehicle and so far, have failed in my efforts to teach Lukas to get us food.

e said...

This was in a packet, very hot with the peppers...

e said...

Yes, I love watermelon but the large ones take me forever to finish...Good luck with your continued baking.

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't cook. So I'm eating cheese and biscuits or pizza each night. And wonder why I've put on weight. Sigh.

e said...

I'm good at combining and re-heating, not a great cook either. Thanks for visiting.

Ms. Moon said...

I think part of it is genetic. Honestly I do. Also, I had a mentor in an older woman whom I watched cook and she just wandered about the kitchen adding a bit of this and a bit of that and whatever she made was wonderful. That helped me to understand that good ingredients make for good food.
I don't know. That's the best I can do.

Linda Sue said...

That is the cutest kitchen in the world!

Alphie Soup said...

Hello e
I haven't called by in while, I hope you are keeping well enough.
Jackfruit curry, I do believe I watched a TV cooking show this week where they made a jackfruit curry.
I decided it wasn't for me, too much fussing around and way too much for one person. I'd be eating it forever.
Alphie

e said...

Thanks!

e said...

Mine was pre-made ad frozen in a packet and had very hot peppers! Just enough for two small meals. Thanks for visiting and stay well please.

HBF said...

The hubs is the cook up in 'ere and our diet has become more restricted since BB has joined the table. No curries for us it seems for now but we do love it! I don't think I've ever had jackfruit... but I'd be wiling to try it. Now I really want curry! Be well :o)

Secret Agent Woman said...

My younger son, who eats like a horse, is staying with us while he builds his tiny house so I feel like I'm cooking all the time. I've had to change the way I cook to focus more on bulk. :-)

Jenny Woolf said...

I find I am cooking more than usual, and quite enjoy cooking from scratch. I have discovered BBC Recipes on the internet, and if I see something interesting, I will buy it and then look up to see if I can find a recipe for it. I nearly always can. Have you thought of buying some fresh jackfruit and seeing if you like it? I have no idea where to get it here, but often it is fun to try something quite new.