Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Tuesday

It is both trash collection and election day in these parts and before you chuckle at that peculiar juxtaposition, please remember where I live. Voting was handled weeks ago by mail and my ballot was left for a trusted friend rather than our postal carrier. It reached its destination well before today which meant no worries for me. My postal carrier is still strutting his stuff, but I prefer not to have contact with someone who will not distance or wear a mask. I do know that one of the prospective judges on the ballot has COVID. I hope she recovers.

Other than that, I listened to a brief presentation on the role of women here in suffrage and apart from a few of which I was already aware, there really was no new information. This area was a last bastion of conservatism, just as I suspected. I was taken aback when the speaker noted a subtopic about which she desired more research but was unable to obtain it due to the library being closed. Had I been the librarian moderating this program, I would speak to this History Center docent afterward and extend a hand  in getting further information. The docent, an older woman, did promise to complete her research at a later time.

Overcast and rainy for most of the afternoon, we finally have slivers of azure, just before sunset.

How was your day?


12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Garbage day and election day sit perfectly comfortably in my head. I am glad you were able to vote well in advance and are sure that your vote will be counted.
It was damp and chilly here. So we went on a drive. And saw emus which is a rare treat. I am still drying out, but thoroughly enjoyed standing in the rain watching them and taking a very few photos.

e said...

Emos? You lucky thing !

e said...

Sorry, should have been Emus...

Ms. Moon said...

As you know, I had a lovely, sweet day!

Steve Reed said...

Apparently my ballot arrived in Tampa HQ weeks ago, so I was happy about that. Hopefully voting in the general election will go as smoothly!

Friko said...

I’ve been enjoying the great outdoors; sadly, today it’s raining. I don’t know why I said ‘sadly’, because rain is as necessary for life as sunshine.

I have been a postal voter for several years, never any problem here, but then we still call this country a ‘democracy’, although our own mini-trump is doing his best to change that.

HBF said...

My day wasn't awful but my jaw clenching has been a challenge all day the past two days now. I do feel good about preparing a digital quiz that took nearly 45 minutes to type in! Love the word "azure." Thank you for that :o)

e said...

I am not sure it will be counted but it arrived. I love emus!

e said...

I hope you have many more!

e said...

My hope as well...

e said...

I hope he does not succeed.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I voted by mail for the primaries but will likely early vote in person. I'll try to go at an off-hour so I can get in and out.

My days run together of late - I work from home all day and work on our property every evening. But I'm content with that.