Monday, July 6, 2020

I'm Not Dead, But I Am Terrified...

The last weeks have been a roller coaster of insomnia, followed by exhaustion. My focus and function at such times goes down the toilet, so most days have been spent simply on chores, self and pet-care and reading or meditation.

Home is a refuge from madness beyond its walls over which I have little or no control. Life, however, has thrown a curve ball into the mix because my internet has been dicey and now, my refrigerator, which is barely three years old, is acting up. 

I defrosted the freezer portion yesterday after what looked like a small blizzard happened inside. This took only a few minutes and I assumed things would be fine despite the compressor being louder than normal, then quieting.

I was wrong, as I eventually discovered that while the freezer was cold, the refrigerator was barely cool. Today, the loudness resumed and there was a faint smell within.

After calling the dealer and getting the names of two repair companies, I left two unanswered messages. This evening, I called a contractor who will come here sometime tomorrow, pull this out, take measurements, purchase a new unit and put it in, providing he can find one. Though he has an appliance person he consults with, both he and I feel that the worry over possible continuing problems is not something either of us want to deal with.

Most of the perishable food has been unceremoniously bagged and dumped since food poisoning isn't something I want to chance, either. All of this is a pain in the budget.

My plan is to either stay in the bedroom or to remain outdoors while he is here and talk if necessary by phone. I will clear the counter and remove the remaining refrigerated items before he arrives and put Lukas in the bedroom. If the neighbors are about, the bedroom, locked and masked, may be the best I can do.

Thanks for your concern and be well.

13 comments:

Shaheen said...

'Home is indeed a refuge from madness beyond its walls over which many of us have little or no control'. That is so annoying and frustrating for you with the freezer packing up. Its an essential appliance in many homes. I hope you are able to get a replacement in not too long. We had a water pipe burst a couple of weeks back that was stressful having to call in the plumber over the w/e and at a hefty price, its resolved now by my oh my... x

Elephant's Child said...

Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring are flowing your way.
I do hope the fridge can be fixed/replaced safely. And quickly.

Boud said...

I'm very sorry you have all this on top to cope with. I was wondering if you were okay and was planning on emailing today. Let's hope that at least the fridge can be replaced/fixed. It's so disheartening to have to toss food.

Live and Learn said...

Interacting with unknown people these days can indeed be scary, but it sounds like you have a good plan in place to minimize your contact. Good luck and I hope soon that you will be able to retrieve ice from a very cold freezer.

Wisewebwoman said...

So sorry to hear this E. The stress of Covid is getting to many of us. I have several friends in Florida who are not doing well either. The cases are through the roof there. I do hope you get the fridge problem sorted and safely. You are taking all precautions.

Daughter calls this stage "cracking". We all are in various degrees.

Take care of you.

XO
WWW

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, e! Sounds so difficult. I hope you are able to spend some time each day outside. I know it's horribly hot and muggy but I do think it helps. I hope your refrigerator problem gets solved quickly.

jenny_o said...

What a nightmare, e. You have a good plan in place, though. You must be exhausted. I hope the necessary work gets done quickly and efficiently with no further issues. Take care. (I know you will)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's awful. I do hope you find a replacement quickly. We've been through this and it's not fun!

HBF said...

We had fridge crap out on us and lost all (most all) of the food a few years back.... not fun! I was very much irked to say the least. Sorry your internet has been dicey. We lost it for this afternoon and it was a weird experience to realize how much we depend on and expect it's convenience.

Hope your insomnia gets better. Hugs :o)

Steve Reed said...

Oh, that's a drag about the refrigerator. I can't believe it's already acting up and it's relatively new. This IS a scary time -- particularly in Florida -- so I understand your anxiety. I hope all goes well.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear E,

I am very sorry to hear that you had some problems with your fridge and network. My heart goes out to you and Lukas. It is harrowing enough to deal with the global pandemic without adding extra pressures of tribulations at the home front. I hope your fridge will be fixed so that you can keep all the supplies and essentials.

The news of the virus surging across the country makes me very anxious and the focus should be on tackling this virus and people's health and safety must surely come first.

I am thinking of you. Despite all the terror and anxiety, I sincerely hope that you had a peaceful 4th of July.

Best wishes, ASD

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'm terrified, too. It's a scary, scary time. My patients ask me what to do about their fear and I'm having a hard time answering. I wish I knew.

Jenny Woolf said...

This is a very stressful situation, e, and I do hope that your repairman was sensible and that your plan to keep out of his way worked perfectly. Life is so difficult when one has a dysfunctional government becuase you cannot rely on anything being done efficiently and safely. Sadly, we in Britain are now experiencing this - our leader seems to be taking his lead from yours.