I spent most of yesterday on the phone, dealing with the store where my now gone fridge was purchased. Their recommended repair person all but laughed when I told him that I had an apartment sized refrigerator, telling me it was likely more expensive to repair than to purchase new.
Another company I've used in the past said that they have seen an upswing in motor and board replacements for the model I had which was just three years old. Meanwhile, calls to several retailers produced one available refrigerator in the size I need and after some back and forth, it was bought and brought to my flat by two maskless men, one of whom I've known for twenty years.
I left a check and waited outside until they were done, well away from my place. I was masked. My back neighbors, who are very careful, came in for a minute, masked, and opened my windows and sliding glass door to circulate air. One of them gave me a can of Clorox wipes to use for the after cleaning.
Sudden, pelting rain forced me inside where armed with wipes, paper towels and a can of Lysol, I set to work wiping down everything I could reach in the kitchen, bathroom and front room. I left the air on but sprayed the AC filter and coil, sprayed each section of the flat and took out trash. When I returned, the kitchen and bathroom were mopped with my Swiffer twice each. The doors and windows were left open for a good two hours until I gave up the ghost for bed at nearly 2 AM.
I've now been up since 5 and washed all the bathroom linens once I realized that one of those men used a wash cloth to clear behind the refrigerator. Since I don't where else his hands may have been, all went into the washer and the rack which holds them will be wiped as well before the towels are folded and returned to their place.
I hope to hell that I don't need anymore help with anything in here and I hope I've done to protect myself. I am tired and still need to replace the food I lost.
Goodnight.
8 comments:
I think your precautions were spot on. The most important thing was to avoid contact with the people. The current advice is that surfaces are much less likely to be a problem. But good that you went the distance.
Now let's hope for some peace in the appliance world.
Well, E, you've certainly been as thorough as possible. No one could fault you for carelessness! It's so frustrating that businesses don't require their employees who enter people's homes to wear masks.
How I wish those precautions were unnecessary. They were not.
I hope that you and Lukas get some rest. Hugs. Today and every day.
I can't believe these a-holes would come in unprotected to your place and you so vulnerable. It beggars belief. I'm still shaking my head.
You must be exhausted.
Be sure to rest up.
XO
WWW
Oh e, what an ordeal. You must be worn out, but at least you know your place is cleaned now. Rest, rest.
I'm glad you were so cautious. And glad you have a working fridge again!
This sounds so draining and upsetting. I think your cleaning routine must have ensured that you will not contract anything bad.
Here's to not needing anymore help or having more problems.
When Tim gets home from work, he puts all his close in the wash.
He showers and things get cleaned straight away.
Post a Comment