Friday, May 29, 2020

Raining


We've finally had the harbinger of our rainy season this week, a couple of evenings of lightening and rattling windows as buckets poured down. The latest of these is only now subsiding. 

It has been a miserable week out in the world with regard to current events. I wonder sometimes why the human lust for power, attention, dominance and the need for control--and all of the isms which arise from that never abate. I am exhausted and heartsick simply hearing the news. Despite my relative lack of social media and a reluctance to write about things over which others fulminate endlessly, I can safely and simply say that any residual respect I may have harbored for this country is about gone. Perhaps being inside has finally taken its toll...

Aside from the emotional toll of the week,  life inside has been fairly mundane. Lukas and I play, nap, cuddle, eat, listen to music, try out new podcasts, tidy, read, do the laundry, sing in the shower and meditate, with and without Zoom. Yoga and weights, stretches and the heating pad, though not as thorough or practiced as a massage therapists hands, are helping keep my pain level down.

I've hit the genealogist's proverbial brick wall with a second great grandfather. Long dead, he was no-one's favorite father, uncle, brother or son. His daughters and ex-wife, who divorced him when to do so brought scandal down on a woman's head, dropped his last name. One of his daughters went so far as to describe herself as the daughter of her father-in-law on census forms, presumably out of respect for the man.

La cuisine has been the scene of several attempts at casseroles this week, most notably a baked rice, chicken and broccoli dish. I did a good job and it was so good that company would enjoy it. If ever I can entertain again, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the kind words on my previous post.




13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I hear you.
I am frequently ashamed of our species. And struggle to try and set a positive example instead of following the pack.
Rain? Jealous thoughts. We have had predictions, but no reality.
I am very glad you have found a way to (mostly) keep your pain manageable.
Stay well, stay safe, and hugs.

e said...

Thanks and the same to you. I hope you get the rain you want. Hugs.

Boud said...

I'm glad to be reminded about Lukas, among all the misery of the present moment. An animal is company. Any chance of pictures of him? Running the household with an iron paw!

It's good that you can keep on top of your pain level with your experience in self care. Can you get fresh air, too? I can't remember if you have any outdoor space. Im so grateful that I can get out safely to see the neighborhood.

Ms. Moon said...

Like Elephant's Child, I am losing respect for humanity at a rapid pace. Especially those who call themselves Americans. We have to remember that there are good people. There really are. Maybe not as many as we thought but still...

Wisewebwoman said...

I hear you. I have pulled away from social media as I found it was eating my brain from the inside out.

I am enjoying the new freedom it is bringing me to pursue joy and to just say to myself now and again "Enough" if I feel the pull back into the vortex.

XO
WWW

Steve Reed said...

I like hearing about your rain. We need rain so badly here. I miss those Florida downpours.

I know what you mean about current events. Heartsick is the word.

That great-grandfather sounds like a piece of work! I wonder what the story is there?!

37paddington said...

I understand why people fulminate. Right now I am one of them. It's been a soul-crushing week in America. May rain soothe us all.

Live and Learn said...

It's disheartening, but people have been behaving badly since the beginning of time. Fortunately, it's not the majority. The bad ones just have bigger actions and mouths. I don't know what to do except turn off the news and try to do something positive in my little bit of the world.

Jenny Woolf said...

Here in Britain we have also been depressed and disgusted by our politicians. I am afraid they seem to be taking their hints from Trump and Putin.

Anonymous said...

Lots of cold and rain here lately. Last week we had a heat wave! Welcome to Canada :)

Current events have been overwhelming and heartbreaking. Keep well, dear friend xo

Secret Agent Woman said...

I am heartsick as well. And ashamed of our country.

jenny_o said...

Hugs, e. That is all.

The bike shed said...

So today I am catching up on some 'old favourite' and 'loyal followers' in the blog world. It is raining here too - and hard to write at the moment. Maybe I will write anew post later, but my head spins with too may things. My new dog is wonderful company - a little whippet - his simple devotion is a joy in weird times
Best to you.