Monday, April 6, 2020

A Burger Before Candle Light...

As if the current pandemic is not worrisome enough, yesterday we had two power outages. The first, in the early evening, was brief but enough to mess with every electrical device in my household. By the time I re-started the computer, re-arranged clocks and checked that the refrigerator and laundry unit were both in order, it was past dinner time.

A quick meal of Beyond Burger, bun, fresh fruit and sliced cucumber was fashioned and after a speedy sautee, the burger, a vegetarian creation with lots of protein and fat, was ready to eat. A recommendation from my favorite neighbor, the Beyond Burger more than lived up to the hype surrounding it. Most commercial veggie burgers are at most barely decent and in my many years of eating a few, there are some I avoid but the Beyond Burger was meaty looking with a great texture and taste. The fat content rivals that of a beef patty which is why nutritionists caution against eating Beyond Burger more than occasionally. Stuffed into a bun with slices of heirloom tomato and cucumber, it was almost divine...

Full and still content several hours later, a loud crack caught my attention and I once more found myself suddenly in the dark, this time realizing the entire condominium community was without power. Once our electric company was notified, it took less than an hour for the situation to be rectified but the ensuing stress forced me to call upon every relaxation, meditation and breathing technique I've ever learned. I have always been afraid of dark spaces and total power outages can lead to feelings of panic. That combined with the hypervigilance concerning the novel and nasty virus, and I was exhausted once the lights returned, and glad for the comforts of cat and bed.

Wishing you all a peaceful sleep.

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry to read of your power woes. You have more than enough on your plate already.
You are so right about vegie burgers. I have given up. They are often just plain nasty.
I hope that you and Lukas sleep well. Hugs (which I am confident are non-infectious).

Steve Reed said...

Ah, Florida. Land of power outages. Was it a blown transformer? The "loud crack" makes me suspect that! Glad you're back in the world of electricity.

Ms. Moon said...

It's all just too much. Add in another thing and, well- yeah. Call in the meditation techniques and light a candle.

A Cuban In London said...

Sorry to hear. I hope you're keeping well and safe. :-)

Greetings from London.

The Happy Whisk said...

Ack! Lots going on over there with the power. I had the Beyond but the recipe before the new one with the rice added. I've not tasted the new one yet. How do you like it compared to the older recipe?

jenny_o said...

Losing power is stressful all by itself, never mind the current circumstances.

Glad your burger measured up! I'm going to check online and see what the main components of the Beyond Burger are.

HBF said...

The worst part of power outages for me (beside worrying about food in the fridge) is the silence. Gets so quiet!

I've been curious about that Beyond Burger (and am glad you enjoyed) but I'll pass on the cucumber (barfy emoji). Cucumbers and cilantro I cannot do!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of losing power either. It's stressful and inconvenient. I've been meaning to try the Beyond Burger. I'm curious to see how it tastes.