I'm sad to report that I'll too soon finish the last in a series of four books by the unfortunately late Barbara Neely. The central character, Blanche White, is a single woman raising her deceased sister's kids and working her ass off as a house cleaner and sometime-factotum. She also solves mysteries, murderous and otherwise.
Drawn from Neely's activism, Blanche is often in the catbird seat when it comes to observing her clientele, family and friends and her life in what some refer to as the New South, which as far as Miz Blanche can see, hasn't changed as much as some would like to believe. Plump, middle-aged and proudly independent, she offers perspectives on both the black and white communities, pressing social problems and other issues.
Written from 1992 through 2000, this series won Neely several awards for a first novel, among others. Her essays and short stories have appeared in various publications for which I have been looking since reading her first book.
Thank you Boud for introducing us via your blog.
Cheers and stay well.

4 comments:
I felt so sad when I came to the end of the Blanche books. They were very engrossing, just the thing for now. I'm glad you read them.
Do you have another writer to go on to?
They sound wonderful. Thank you. When our libraries re-open I will add them to my long list.
I've never heard of these! I'll have to check them out.
And now I will look for these too.
Post a Comment