Sunday, March 15, 2020

Loo Rolls, Everyone??

It rained during the night, and despite some sun today. our sidewalks and grass remain damp. It is eighty-four degrees here. The good news is that our humidity is under sixty percent, so the "smothered-in-a-wet-blanket" feeling hasn't quite arrived and it is still cool in the evenings.

Spring has come and most everything is a gorgeous shade of green. Our trees have been pruned and the carpet of dead leaves on our walkways will be temporarily blown away in the morning, an unfortunately noisy and annoying process.

I'm reasonably well stocked with canned food, water and toilet paper. I have six large rolls and should I run low before getting out, there are many methods to cleaning that I can employ, according to information obtained on the history of toilet paper.

Though the once filmy pages of Sears and Roebuck have not existed for a long time, this was once a favored source of cleaning. Cheap and readily available, the catalog could be left on a nail on the outhouse door or placed inside a bathroom. Ancient cultures used a variety of things to accomplish this task: dried corn cobs, sponges, stones, sand, sticks or plain water, to name but a few.

 Current times have seen the emergence of so-called toilet rags which are re-usable after washing and available from several sources online. While not considered by many to be as sanitary as the hallowed and flushable loo roll, toilet rags nonetheless offer a viable alternative to the over consumption of paper, water and trees.

Those of you tempted to run screeching from your screens in horror need to remember that the cloth diaper or nappy, worn by generations of babies and toddlers, were and are washable and re-usable. They function on the same principle as toilet rags and sanitation and washing are easier today than at any other time in our history. Though I've yet to try this product, it provides an option in an uncertain time and those are always good to have.

Cheers and stay well.


14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

How right you are.
I am glad you have essential supplies. One of our politicians suggested that the leaves of the eucalypt are also a viable alternative to toilet paper (though I doubt she is following her own advice).
Stay safe, stay well - and hugs.

Boud said...

Are you finding that this crisis is teaching us a lot of history? Hygiene practices, cultural differences there, changes in the social fabric. Aside from anxiety about the inner future, it's a sudden education. Also the economic fallout is news to a lot of people, who hadn't realized how interconnected our economy is.

Ms. Moon said...

That's what I keep saying- we can use rags if it comes to that.
We are all so finicky now.

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad you have good and wrapper paper. If we run out we have paper towels and, to be honest, I'll just make homemade wrapper paper with tea towels and old fabric. For me, it's about staying healthy and enjoying the apocalypse at home, away from people.

e said...

That might actually work...Thanks. Hugs and well wishes to you too.

e said...

Well, history can teach us something about perspective, and market fallouts aren't new, either if one looks at the history of the market. The big problem for elderlies is not having time to make up big losses and none of us knows what changes are in store or for what duration.

e said...

No understanding of the past or options and being scared does that.

e said...

Good that you are thinking about options.

Steve Reed said...

You know, frankly, I would rather just use plain water and my hand than a toilet rag. Something about a rag just grosses me out. In rural Morocco people use rocks. (Or at least they did back when I lived there.)

The Happy Whisk said...

It's problem solve think.
Kinda my thang!
And, it makes life fun.
Figuring out puzzles, it's fun!

e said...

Always good to have options...

jenny_o said...

As you point out, using rags is just like cloth diapers for babies - and did you know those have enjoyed a resurgence among many younger families who are concerned about all the disposables ending up in landfills? Our daughter used them for her two. People need to learn how to deal with cleaning them if they don't already know, but that's easily found on the internet or from talking to any grandma or great-grandma :)

HBF said...

I just watched a show that mentioned smooth stones! So glad BB is out of diapers-and he usually showers after a good movement so we don't have to worry about our wet wipe stash *score* Funny where the hysteria goes sometimes. Would not have thought TP!

Anonymous said...

There are so many ways to clean ourselves up, so I don't understand the toilet paper frenzy. Be well and safe!