Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Condo Schmondo...

Yesterday, as I was leaving my flat for the only time this week, the president of our condominium board appeared at my door to tell me that our roofing material was to be removed and replaced in order to fix a leak that has been going on for years.

 The largest portion of the roof is flat and was coated in a specialized vinyl material that was supposed to last twenty-five years. Loans were taken out for the cost and have since been paid but the unit above mine has had persistent leakage into the bedroom closet and a mold problem developed.

This replacement was promised last year. Yesterday, I was told that as part of this process, my air conditioning compressor would need to be removed from our rooftop along with that of my neighbor upstairs in order to strip the old vinyl away and replace it.

That means no air conditioning until tomorrow after 1 PM. It also meant no notice given to either of us and no ability to plan ahead in case either of us wanted to be gone or had to be away. This morning, as things were getting underway, the condo president and the AC guy and another person knocked on the door, President lady said my AC was still on upstairs. It was off in my place but evidently something else was live. I said, "Just a minute," at which point one of the two men opened my screen door and attempted to enter my apartment without permission and it took me pointing this out before he stopped.

 I was able to put Lukas in the bedroom and then grant access to my electrical panel which is just inside the entrance to my apartment. I had people inches from me inside and outside and president lady saying she was unaware of a pet, which isn't really the most relevant issue.

Things began outside and are rather noisy and then my doorbell rang again. I did not answer and mercifully, whoever it was has retreated, leaving only the sounds of machines, hammers and bursts of rapid-fire Spanish in their wake.

I am going back to bed.

16 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Good timing, huh?

e said...

You said it...More like Coronavirus? Really? or "Hey, I'm a guy, I can go anywhere."

Boud said...

Such planning and forethought. Lack of attention, theirs, causes an emergency. Yours.

Let's hope it's resolved soon.

HBF said...

Definitely sounds stressful! I'm so glad Lukas didn't dart out. Sounds downright creepy how they started in on you like that!

37paddington said...

People can be so unaware.

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh. I do resent the pushy self entitled male.
Going back to bed sounds excellent - and I hope you get some sleep and this latest insanity is done and dusted quickly.

e said...

It will be done tomorrow.

e said...

It was very stupid.

e said...

Yep, especially Trumpers.

e said...

I live in hope...Hugs.

Live and Learn said...

Some people are clueless and they've been visiting you recently.

e said...

And they will tomorrow in order to do electrical work on the roof to rid it of a discovered fire hazard...

Steve Reed said...

Ugh. Not the best time to be dealing with this, I know! But it will be nice to get the roof fixed, right?!

e said...

Done. Let us hope it doesn't leak..

jenny_o said...

Lord! Some people!

The Happy Whisk said...

Good gravy. So sorry you had to deal with this.