Florida's Sandhill Cranes, which were pictured in my latest posts, are endangered due to loss of wetlands, marshes and over development. It is illegal to kill them here but cases of road kill are increasing. They are known for their distinctive calls and pairing rituals and remain monogamous. Both males and females share incubation responsibilities once eggs are laid and the young can forage for food within 24 hours of hatching and leave their parents at ten months. Sandhill Cranes can live up to twenty years and are among the oldest species of bird still surviving today.

5 comments:
I hope we can find a way to lessen the danger. Sadly our behaviour has put far too many birds/animals/plants on the endangered list.
I didn't know anything about Florida Sandhill Cranes except they are impressive looking birds. Sounds like there is some work ahead if their population is to increase.
They are preternaturally beautiful.
20 years?! Wow. The hubs mentioned these a few days back and said you can still hunt them places and I just don't get it.
How sad that they are endangered. I didn't know that. They are so beautiful.
Post a Comment