The New Year begins with a steaming plate of what is commonly called Hoppin' John. Black-eyed peas, rice and collard greens, to which I add fresh sliced tomato and salt and pepper. The peas, reputed in the South to bring good fortune, are an old tradition of African, Caribbean, French and Carolinas origins. Often cooked with onion and bacon, black-eyed peas, also known as cow peas, symbolize coins. Greens symbolize money, corn bread symbolizes gold and tomatoes, health.
While none of us know what awaits us in any year, starting out with a hot meal of black-eyed peas (which are actually a bean high in soluble fiber and protein) and rice is both filling and a reminder that no matter how humble our food, it is sustenance for which to be grateful. I will be eating the leftovers tonight and tomorrow which is a nod to frugality and also believed to increase one's wealth in the coming year. This is the perfect meal for a chilly day.
I wish all of my readers a wonderful year ahead along with my thanks for your continued interest and comments. Happy 2020!

14 comments:
Thank you for this explanation. I had come across 'Hoppin' John' in my reading, but was clueless about its contents or significance.
I hope that all of us have a kinder, more compassionate decade than the last. And of course that we are Happy and Healthy too.
My dear E,
Happy New Year to you. May the new year be filled with happiness, prosperity, good health and blessings, both large and small!
Hoppin' John sounds deliciously healthy. It must be a plate full of nutrition and goodness. After a period of lavish celebration and feasting, it would do no harm at all to take a leaf out of your book by cooking a nutritious meal.
With best wishes, ASD
I grew up with the tradition of having either black-eyed peas or pork and sauerkraut. However, we added a real coin to our food--usually a dime.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year.
You got your peas! Your meal looks delicious. Our supper was extremely similar and like yours, delicious.
I love Hoppin' John. Unfortunately I've never seen black-eyed peas in the stores here. I'm sure I can get them but I'd have to search them out. Collards I CAN get, at least in Caribbean neighborhoods. Have a fabulous year, E!
Happy New Year! All the best for 2020.
Hoppin' John is basically poor man's food. I love it because it is so easy to make and tastes good. Happy New Year and may your country stop burning.
A Happy year for you and your beautiful cat! Thank you for sharing your lovely home and adventures with me over the years. I wish you the best always.
Thank you and I wish you the same. Who usually got the dime?
lucky for me a neighbor stopped in. I
hope you enjoyed yours. I've got leftovers!
You and Dave and Olga too, Steve!
Thank you! I wish the same for you.
It was the luck of the serving so it varied.
I make Hoppin John every New Year. My version includes spinach (I don't like collards) and chicken sausage (I don't eat mammal). I also load it up with onions and peppers.
Post a Comment