Saturday, January 4, 2020

Clean Sheets, A Happy Cat and Leftovers...

I was finally well enough to brave crowds and get in some groceries on Thursday. It had been over five weeks and both my fridge and freezer were empty of all but condiments and water.

My favorite fruit and veg stand was a hive of activity, but the gentleman at the cash register remembered me with a New Year greeting as I loaded a bag with broccoli, greens, chopped cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes,  yellow squash, big garden grown carrots, some apples and a couple of oranges. I did well for just under $20 and a lot of that has gone into the crock pot with some chicken and Tikla Masala  for tonight's dinner. A large, fresh salad, loaded with greens also sits waiting to be eaten this week with left over Hoppin' John .

I've gotten the recycling out, done all of the laundry, changed the sheets, fed the cat, taken care of his box, gotten a nice shower and look forward to a book in bed. Everything has been organized and put away. Work on the family tree continues at a snail's pace and hit a sad note when I learned of cousins related through my great grandmother's brother.  Their family lived here in the eighties but are sadly no more. One was the victim of a strong-arm robbery attempt which became a first-degree murder charge for three individuals when she died of her injuries. The full extent of her injuries was neither caught in the emergency room where she was seen nor taken seriously by a private physician whom she saw after going to the ER. The headline references purse snatching which sounds benign compared to what actually occurred. It should have said, "strong arm robbery victim."

An air of mystery about her father remains since I've been unable to find any death or divorce from a first wife. The murder victim is the child of a second wife though I've not yet located a marriage record for her.

 One can glean much from newspaper collections when researching individuals, and this was beyond the confines of the ever popular Ancestry website, an entity which often leaves me with more questions than answers. I must admit that I now have a great respect for my maternal grandmother who researched her origins in the days before the Internet, and DNA testing.

On that note, I wish you all a good week and thanks for reading.


11 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad you were well enough to get out, to shop and to clean.
Early researchers had to be incredibly tenancious didn't they?

Live and Learn said...

When you feel a little better, it's amazing what you can get done.

My sister is the family researcher in our family and has uncovered both good and bad things. You never know what you might stumble onto. I'm sorry that you have recently learned of some tragedies in your family.

Ms. Moon said...

Early researchers had to GO places, I suppose. The newspaper morgues, libraries, and wherever records were kept. I'm starting to feel a bit of an urge to know more about my family but whether or not that will develop into a full-on interest, we'll have to wait and see.
Good for you for getting things DONE! Happy New Year for sure, now.
Take care, e.

Steve Reed said...

My grandfather did a ton of research on our family and it took him years -- writing to various government agencies, requesting old documents and census records and the like. It's amazing how arduous the process must have been. The disadvantage to Ancestry, I've been told, is that the information you get through the site is only as good as that person's research -- in other words, it's easy to be led astray by someone else who wasn't diligent enough. I suppose that's always been true, though. You're a reporter, you know to check your sources. :)

e said...

I review available records and any other materials that are sourced or cited before reviewing trees but sometimes trees are all one has in that database, unfortunately. I have been able to trace my paternal line through a family about which I had never heard to my 13th great-grandfather.

e said...

My grandmother did a lot of correspondence because she lived outside the US during her working life.

e said...

Thanks. You are right.

e said...

Absolutely and today as well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderfully productive time! Glad you were feeling well enough to tackle all that.

My brother has done some research on our family history but it hasn't been easy. There aren't enough well-kept records.

37paddington said...

You have a few mysteries in your family. Maybe you should write their stories, filling in the missing details with what you speculate to have happened. Would make fascinating stories. Happy new year, dear e.

Secret Agent Woman said...

You've been productive!

My grandmother was a genealogy fanatic, visiting cemeteries to make rubbings from headstones and poring over archived birth and death records at the library. Now my mom seems to be walking in her shoes.