Saturday, January 18, 2020

A Gorgeous Day and A Big Surprise...

Our weather has been the stuff of dreams lately and today was no exception. Sunny, cool and bright, it is the reason this area attracts its heady mix of tax dodgers and climate refugees from other parts of the country.

The task of the day involved getting Lukas to the local Cat Hospital for his vaccines and wellness visit. He graciously climbed in his carrier without a fuss and a longtime friend shuttled him the mile or so from here to his vet for what both of us assumed would be a short, routine appointment.

If you are familiar with the old saying about assuming and how it can make an ass out of you, what comes next won't be too much of a shock.

The boy is spending the weekend at the Cat Nap Inn at no additional charge while the vet awaits the results of blood work and tries to get a urine sample to determine whether Lukas has looming kidney or bladder issues. 

I kept smelling the sign of a urinary accident in the bedroom here and finally determined that Lukas had liberally sprinkled bed pillows, tossed to the floor as I slept. Given his age and no previous history of either behavioral or urinary problems, his vet thought it prudent to check all possibilities.

He also has two teeth that need prompt attention as in extraction. Pet dentals and extractions come with a hefty fee due to the anesthesia, overnight stay and blood work involved. Given that he was there in late October and a future cleaning was mentioned, I had no idea his teeth were actually bad. The practice book out for dentals and related surgery so the soonest it can be done is February 10. I am hoping the bill for this comes in under $1500.00 but not optimistic.

The flat is too quiet...and the cha-ching of money leaving my hand booming too loudly in my head...

I hope there is no heartbreak ahead for either of us.




7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Oh dear.
I too hope (fervently) that there is no heartbreak ahead.
And yes, our vet charges like the proverbial wounded bull.
Sending hugs and good wishes to both you and to Lukas. And huge hopes that he will come home soon without that ominous diagnosis.

Ms. Moon said...

When sweet little kittens enter our lives, we so rarely contemplate what all they will need as the years progress. Probably a good thing.
For them, at least.
You are a good cat mama.

Boud said...

Oh, I know those routine visits that suddenly turn into more than expected. I hope he goes well. It's much more expensive for cats to go to the dentist than humans. We don't usually have blood work and anesthesia, so pricy. But, they're family!

Anonymous said...

He is such a sweetie! I hope all goes well. I see other blog posts from you on my reading list. I'll check them out right after this comment.

e said...

All hugs appreciated. Thanks.

e said...

Thanks. I have only had him for two years and he is nine, so not young.

e said...

Thank you!