I've been meaning to post for days.My cough, congestion and tiredness have returned with a vengeance. Not sure why but I'm beginning to feel like a cold magnet.
There was the hurricane, a birthday party, a trip to the dentist, grocery shopping and lunch out with an interfaith women's group before any new symptoms asserted themselves. My massage therapist and several others have also been sick.
Coughing seems to trigger my gag reflex, never a pleasant experience.
Aside from this, my genealogy interest led me to a mystery which will likely never be solved. The man who would have been my paternal grandfather died at age 22, leaving a younger widow and baby. When asked, my mother said that he had died in a drunken car crash, a story told to her by her first husband. The same story was shared with his second wife and another of his children and I'm assuming the third wife and the remaining children as well.
Interestingly, however, upon sharing information about my lineage with the historical society in another state, the president of the organization is a distant cousin and shared two stories he had heard from family members about this death, neither of which has anything to do with a car crash.
The first involves family members, a dispute about stolen cattle and a shooting while the next concerns a self-inflicted gunshot during a family card game. I don't mind telling you that I found these accounts disturbing on a number of fronts. Who wants to be part of a family in which members shoot each other? Additionally, coming from a well known family in a small community, why would a suicide be any less scandalous than possible murder?
Neither the death certificate nor the obituary hint at either scenario. The certificate, signed by his brother who reported the death, a doctor, an undertaker and a clerk, states the cause as coronary occlusion which is basically either a clot or atherosclerosis. Acute indigestion is also mentioned. No autopsy notes are included and people during that era were under no mandate to even get a death certificate. Nor was there much known about heart problems eighty years ago.
Was there a cover up?
Only the dead know...
13 comments:
I am sorry to hear that you are battling ill health. Again.
That is a doozy of a mystery and would nag at me. Which is pointless.
Hugs
Thanks. It does nag but there are not many around with family stories...
It always amazes me that even the history of two generations ago can be so fuzzy.
I hope you feel better soon.
It definitely sounds like a coverup! I wonder if there aren't public records somewhere that could clear things up -- something besides a death certificate. Just because there are no autopsy notes may not mean there wasn't one. What would happen if you filed a public records request with the local medical examiner? Could there have been any news stories in the local press besides the obituary?
Hope you feel better soon!
There is always more than meets the eye...or so it seems to me.
Does make you wonder.
I hope you feel better soon, its not nice being unwell.
Especially if it is intended to be...
Indeed!
Yes, it does. Thank you.
It's fascinating that there's such a discrepancy in stories! And like Ms Moon said, it's amazing how hard it is to get good info even two generations back. I hope someday you can clear up the mystery.
Another cold sounds very tiring. You must be so frustrated.
You know, everyone comes from a family that has stories like that - it is just a matter of how deeply you have to dig. In my own, my grandmother and an uncle committed suicide. Another close relative murdered someone. I'm not ashamed of that, though - I don't think it makes sense to take on the burden of shame for something you didn't do and I don't see those things as a reflection on the other members of the family.
I wasn't taking on any shame. merely giving my reaction to information. The other side of my family lived through the same times and tribulations and managed not to kill any of their relatives.
You might find out more if you look in local papers of the time. They can make fascinating reading anyhow.
Post a Comment