Thursday, July 18, 2019

Raindrops Keep Falling On My House...

It is another rainy evening in Florida and I've got a scratchy throat and have been slurping hot tea for most of  the afternoon. The day has been quiet. I've spoken with an old friend whom I've known since primary school. She is newly retired and recuperating from recent knee replacement surgery. Another is frantically searching for her escaped cat. I don't envy her this task in wet whether.

 Though people commonly believe cats return home unassisted from wandering, many do not, ending up injured, homeless or worse. Lukas and my other cats were among those lucky enough to be found and taken in. While Lukas is very happy in our small flat, my friend's cat fears thunder and lightening and may have bolted due to our stormy weather. Ironically, he is called Lightening.

Since the demise of my iMac, my forays into social media have been limited and I'll admit that I've enjoyed life without Facebook and will probably further limit my time there. I check email regularly and moderate blog comments once daily but Facebook, with its ads and constant political trolling has just gotten under my skin.

An interesting book by Cal Newport entitled Digital Minimalism explains why and how we get sucked into sites like Facebook and that the phenomenon of people constantly checking their phones or other devices is not merely habit or an age-related thing but deliberately cultivated and encouraged by design. I'll write more about this when I finish the book.

For now, I'll leave you with this question:

How much time do you spend online each day?

Cheers!



7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I do hope your friend is able to find Lightening.
I spend probably three hours online each day. Which is too much.
I don't play any social media (other than blogs) and am happy with that decision.

Live and Learn said...

I'll just say that I spend too much time online but much less that the average these days.

Ms. Moon said...

How much time?
TOO MUCH!

Steve Reed said...

I hope the cat comes back! Maybe it's still in the apartment somewhere? Cats can disappear into the tiniest of nooks and crannies, as you know.

I spend about half an hour a day on Facebook, spread throughout the day. I just pop on, check it briefly, and pop off again. I'm not a long-term scroller!

e said...

Lightening has yet to be located...I await news.

e said...

Neither Lightening nor his family live around here and there are many things in his area including cars...Will let you know. He most definitely was not in the house.

Shaheen said...

I don't do FB much for the reasons your describe, I do have some other socialmedia outlets and am aware I need t cut down on them as I find myself on them too long and its no good for my head. So it can be a blessing not having access online too and focus on other more meaningful things in life. I hope the cat does come back though,it is worrying.