Saturday, February 16, 2019

Oh Well...

The purple tarp remains but, according to my most immediate neighbor, we now have a problem with bats, several of which have taken up residence below an upstairs unit window. He claims that one got in his place last evening and bit his finger as he was attempting to get it back outdoors. Our HOA attempted to deal with this problem one year ago apparently to no great effect, according to him. Now, they will have his bills for rabies treatment to contend with as I'm sure the landlord will be notified. Sometimes, I think this place is just a bad soap opera.

Meanwhile, Lukas and I soldier on. I coughed so much this morning that my breakfast made a hasty reappearance, along with a bit of blood. More medicine was taken and for a few hours, we fell into uninterrupted sleep. Awakening, I found Lukas staring into my eyes. Was he checking that I was still alive? I'll never know for sure but since this was followed by kneading and purring, it is safe to assume he was happy that I live to feed and play another day.

He has had his monthly trim and dose of flea and tick, ear mite and heart worm preventative and watched a fellow ginger cat on YouTube playing with a ball, eyes tracking every move. His new battery operated rotating butterfly toy inspired both fear and loathing. He hid from it until he figured out it would not move beyond its base, and then ignored it in favor of a nap.

I've bunged all the leftover vegetables into a pot with broth and lentil and barley mix for tonight's dinner and a friend graciously did a store run for chicken soup and more fluids. Whatever this is isn't going anywhere fast.

Cheers...

17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Of course he was happy to see you surface.
I do hope the lurgy disappears soon. A totally unwelcome guest.
Your soup sounds good. Enjoy it to the max - and it sounds as if you will get more than one meal out of it which is also a win.

LL Cool Joe said...

Sorry to hear you are unwell, I hope the soup helps. Glad you have a little furry friend looking after you. Not the bat, Lukas.

Steve Reed said...

So sorry you've been sick all this time. I once had bats living in my apartment ceiling in Sarasota. They'd come in under the eaves. The apartment complex had to do an elaborate bat-removal process, because it's illegal to kill them -- they're a protected species. (As they should be.) As I recall the complex hired workers to net the opening during the evening when the bats were out flying, preventing them from returning to their roost.

Live and Learn said...

Hope you are getting better each day.

Friko said...

Bats are protected here on pan of a hefty fine. As far as I know they do not search out humans to bite.
Sorry about your ailments, I have just finished a nasty chest cold with severe coughing. I’m over the worst but my throat still hurts and my vocal chords have taken a hammering. Winter brings all sorts of unpleasantnesses. I am glad that you have kind neighbours and wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

e said...

Thanks. Soup is always better the second day. As for this, it isn't disappearing. A friend has had it for three weeks. Lukas is always happy to be fed. Hope you are well.

e said...

Thanks. Soup is about all I can tolerate, other than Lukas.

e said...

It has been a long week. I'm not sure what they have tried here if anything to remedy the bat problem.

e said...

Thank you. My neighbors are not wonderful but I have some good friends who pop in. Good to know you are past your chest cold and thanks for your good wishes. Hot tea and honey will help your vocal chords.

37paddington said...

So many people are under the weather right now, myself included. Or rather I am on the mend. I hope you are, too.

Anonymous said...

Lukas sounds adorable. I hope you are feeling better soon!

jenny_o said...

I hope your virus eases up soon, e. Soup is a very good thing for respiratory illnesses, isn't it? The steam comforts the nose and sinuses, and the broth helps to rehydrate a person and is easy to digest. Take good care of yourself. Glad to hear Lukas is purring and kneading - that's a good sign.

e said...

Thanks for your good wishes and may they be so for both of us.

e said...

Thank you. Lukas reminds me of a little old man in a golden coat.

e said...

Thank you and I agree!

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh, you sound as if you have been quite unlucky with this virus - it's an awful long time to be laid low. I am glad you have Lukas to keep you company and I am not surprised he cares when you wake up to talk to him! :) Get better soon!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Your neighbor was bitten by a bat? I'd worry about rabies. (I love bats and welcome them, but don't want one biting me.)